Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Building/Upgrading RS780HVF

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hoteldesperada

hoteldesperada

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 25 March 2015 - 06:37 PM

- - - EDIT: Motherboard is not anymore available, can be closed - - -

Edited by hoteldesperada, 26 March 2015 - 02:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:44 PM

Hi all, i have an old Acer Aspire M3201 and i'm trying to renew it.

The motherboard should (i said should because i haven't been able to find specifications of the motherboard by googling an hour, i've only find hints in other forums) be RS780HVF

This motherboard should have 4 Ram Slots for 240-Pin DDR2 Modules for a max of 4 GB (3) on x32 systems and 8 GB on a x64 system.

The original CPU is AMD Athlon 64 x2 4800+ which works on a Socket AM2.

I also have an Intel Core 2 Duo who should perform a little better (at least for the fact that it isn't used) but it is not compatible with that socket, since it works with LGA775 which has a different number of PIN.

The main things i wanted to know are about GPU and Memory (RAM).

• GPU: Currently i have the standard GPU built in but it is not working anymore. I'm completely open for suggestions for 1Gb/2Gb GPUs as cheap as possible :) I should have some GPUs in the magazine, later i'll check and update the thread.
  • RAM: Currently i have the standard ram built in, and i've also as possibility to insert a Corsair Kit XMS2 DHX 2x1GB Dual Channel DDR2 (TWIN2X22048-6400C5DHX).
    Corsair claim these memories to be compatible with every AMD or Intel dual channel system. Are they really so? Are they compatible with my motherboard and more of all, there will be problems by mixing the memories (2 of the old ones with 2 of these ones?)
    I haven't had the possibility to find which kind of ram is built into my M3201 after hours of googling, but i will update this as soon as i can. I know they're 5-5-5 as the corsairs and that they.. you can see all the specs i know from the image below, it's simpler.

• Addictional Components: I've all the standard parts of the M3201. Other available components (for the moment, but i still have to check the magazine): 1) Globe Fan B1202512L-3M 2) D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G DWL-G520 3) Asus V9520-X/TD/128 4) HDD Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 3.5" (80GB) 5) Barracuda 7200.10 3.5" (300GB) 6) HDD Western Digital WS740ADFD 3.5" (74 GB) 7) Xtreme technology sleeve bearing Fan 8) 2x sapphire hd 2400 xt 256mb ddr3

These are the specs from CPU-Z: http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=3&u=15170401

EDIT: Ram should be these: DDR2 PC2-5300 (667MHz) DIMM but i still don't know the model.

EDIT 2: Definetively Ram should be these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Memory-Acer-Aspire-M3201-DDR2-6400/dp/B00977ZPW0

Tomorrow i'll personally check the informations that will be necessary to improve, but i'd like some suggestions also from now if possible :)

Tell me if it is necessary to give particular addictional informations.

EDIT 3: I have no problem about Case's dimensions, since i can completely rework it, so feel free to suggest also things that could not fit with the original one if they're good, just tell me if they shouldn't fit in your opinion.

First goal is build the best thing possible from the components i already have. If not possible to build a full good system (however, the GPU has to be replaced, so..) i'm open to every kind of suggestion. I'll keep update my post with news about components, new parts, compatibility discovers and progressing and so on.

Thank you for your attention and help.

Hotel,

Well, it looks like you have a lot of older computer components.

If you were to build a brand new computer, what would be your maximum budget?

We can give you better answers when we get your reply. Also, please indicate what currency you use.

Thanks!

#3 hoteldesperada

hoteldesperada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 25 March 2015 - 08:07 PM

Yeah i've quite a lot of "old" components although in magazine i should have something newer like some 4gb ddr3 kingston but they're not compatible with that motherboard. And i think i have only that motherboard ^^

I'm not in the needing of a new computer at the moment, i've composed my main on the past summer and it is still up-to-date. i just wanted to try to make something out of the loads of parts/components i already had, something like a secundary pc but not completely trash.

And since i'm not that into in PC building, just the necessary to build something new, and compability is hard to find for this old parts, expecially for that motherboard, i needed help.

Also, as i said, i'm opened for suggestions about new parts or replacements, but my first goal is to use as many parts as possible from the one i have to build something at least decent (Ex. 1Gb GPU, 500GB-1TB HDD, 4 GB Ram..)

Another thing: i've noticed that the GPU that comes with the pc is integrated, not dedicated, so i will have to disable it to get things work fine. Is it done through bios or have i to "surgically" remove it with a "Machete"?

EDIT: Haven't a maximum budget, and will consider all the options, but as i said my first goal is to build from things i have.

Edited by hoteldesperada, 25 March 2015 - 08:08 PM.

#4 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 25 March 2015 - 08:36 PM

** Rest of post deleted for brevity **

Another thing: i've noticed that the GPU that comes with the pc is integrated, not dedicated, so i will have to disable it to get things work fine. Is it done through bios or have i to "surgically" remove it with a "Machete"?

EDIT: Haven't a maximum budget, and will consider all the options, but as i said my first goal is to build from things i have.

Hotel,

You can disable the onboard graphics controller from the BIOS, but you MUST make sure that you already have the stand alone graphics card physically installed. Because you don't and you disable the onboard graphics controller... all you will see is a blank screen! 

#5 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 26 March 2015 - 12:35 AM

I would get an R7 260 and 4GB of DDR2 RAM off of eBay.

Sorry if I snap at you. I can't stand stupid for more than 5 minutes at a time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users