Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installation Advice Needed

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 MJB1066

MJB1066

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 30 June 2006 - 01:21 PM

I have a laptop that I need to wipe and install XP SP2 from a multiple volume license CD I have.

Problem is, the laptop has a SATA hard drive and my install CD doesn't support/see it. Gateway offered a download that creates a floppy diskette for the "Press F6 to load additional drivers" screen at the XP boot menu, however this laptop doesn't have a floppy drive and no USB floppy drive I've tried works.

I've tried incorporating the driver files from the floppy disk creation into the CD ISO so that it loads the drivers from the i386 folder (modifying the txtsetup.sif).

The drivers seem to load - I can see them on the CD startup, but when I hit Enter to start installation, it still says that no hard drives could be found.

Basically, I just need to wipe this and install XP from my CD. Any ideas?

I'm at home for the weekend now. So any advice would be appreciated but I'm afraid I can't do trial and error with proper back-and-forth discussion at this time.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users