Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

3 drives EXACT same amount of storage?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 otterman

otterman

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 25 March 2015 - 12:44 PM

We have 3 different drives for the office on a network and it says there is only 24.5GB of 278GB on all 3 drives? All the drives contain different files mostly word and pdf docs.. and all of the drives have no where near the 278GB of documents. How could I go about getting to the root of this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by otterman, 25 March 2015 - 12:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 25 March 2015 - 12:48 PM

Hi otterman :)

It seems like these three shortcut point on the same drive. The first two would be:

\\10.13.10.249\COMMON01
\\10.13.10.249\COMMON02

And I suggest you to ping "PC-090". I'm ready to bet that its IP address is 10.13.10.249 :P In short, all these shortcut points on the same drive, but on different folders on that drive. There's no issue so there's nothing to look for :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 otterman

otterman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 12:50 PM

Thank you very much.. THANK YOU THANK YOU ! :bananas:

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 12:54 PM

No problem otterman, my pleasure :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 otterman

otterman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 03:23 PM

I went through the drive to find out what had filled it up, as it is just mostly word and pdf files saved on it. When I look through the folders I can only calculate rougly  30GB of files. The drive says it is capable of holding 278GB. I would think since we only used 30GB of the 278 we would have nearly 250GB left on the drive. I dont know why it is filled up? Could it be Microsoft Volume Copy Shadow Service?

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 04:12 PM

Do you have access to the whole drive or simply shares on it? Who's on charge of that shared drive?

unite_blue.png

#7 otterman

otterman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 04:19 PM

Yes I have administrator access to the drive

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 04:34 PM

But are you in charge of that server or not? Also, it's possible that the Shadow Volume Copy service is active and keeping previous version of the files on that share.

unite_blue.png

#9 otterman

otterman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 04:51 PM

Right now yes I'm lookin after the server well IT dept, basic troubleshooting on the office computers for the week and the boss wanted to know why the "drives" had filled up. We're gonna wait till monday when tech is back. I just took a shot at troubleshooting it..

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 04:54 PM

Well there's an easy way to see if it's enabled or not. First, look if the service is enabled in the services.msc management console. Then, right-click on a document, go to the Previous versions tab and see if there's any previous versions of that file. If there is, VSS is enabled and working. 300Gb isn't big for a file server.

unite_blue.png

#11 otterman

otterman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:16 PM

I looked in services.msc management console and vss is there i tried to right click on a document and restore previous version and there is no other versions to restore in the list. So I wonder how I could find out what is taking up all the space.. any thoughts? Thanks for walking me through that by the way :D

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:42 PM

You could try checking with WinDirStat where most of the space is gone if you have access to the server.

https://windirstat.info/

unite_blue.png

#13 otterman

otterman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 06:24 PM

windirstat worked awesome!

here is screenshot. I still dont understand why it says the drive is full?

storage.jpg

Thank you for helping Aura!! 

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 06:27 PM

No problem. Well check which folders and files are taking the most space and you'll be able to find that out.

unite_blue.png

#15 otterman

otterman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 06:33 PM

Windirstat says there is only 21GB of data on the drive but when I click start > Computer it shows  24.5GB of 278GB remaining..

drivebanner.jpg

Edited by otterman, 25 March 2015 - 06:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users