Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[Talk] Share Your Protection Setup

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 25 March 2015 - 12:19 PM

Hi everyone! :)

It would be interesting to have a thread where the members here could share their protection setup: Antivirus, Antimalware, Firewall, Web Extensions, Security Software, Encryption Software, etc. The idea behind this thread is mostly to see what other people use in order to learn. You'll most likely discover new software you didn't know about, setup ideas you never thought of (like combining two software together to achieve a specific degree of protection) or else. You can also post your own setup here and ask for advice if you think you're lacking something. Just keep in mind that everything posted here (other than your setup) will be mainly based around opinions, unless facts are provided. I don't want to see any arguments here, like "Antivirus #1 is better than Antivirus #2", "Your setup is bad" or else. These aren't "thread rules", but also BleepingComputer rules and I suggest you to review them via the link below if you're not sure about a comment you'll post:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forum-rules/

With this being said, let's get started! :)

You can use the form below if you want. That form might be modified in the future but since you cannot edit a post after a set amount of time, I'll post the new one and not edit that one.
[color=#1E90FF][b]Antivirus: [/b][/color]
[color=#1E90FF][b]Firewall: [/b][/color]
[color=#1E90FF][b]Antimalware: [/b][/color]
[color=#1E90FF][b]Protection Utilities: [/b][/color]
[color=#1E90FF][b]Web Browser: [/b][/color]
[color=#1E90FF][b]Web Browser Extensions/Addons: [/b][/color]
[color=#1E90FF][b]Back-up: [/b][/color]
[color=#1E90FF][b]Others: [/b][/color]
My setup:

Antivirus: Kaspersky Internet Security 2015 (on my desktop computer and my laptop, as well as on my family's computer). I've been a Kaspersky user for about ... 6 years now I think ? Even a bit more ? Kaspersky is just the perfect solution to my eyes. Always well ranked in the Antivirus benchmarks, its detection ratio is very high, it offers multiples protection features, it's fully customizable, you can set it up to operate in the way you want, etc. It's just THE Antivirus I needed and that I recommend. I've never been infected with any important/harmful malware since I have Kaspersky, but it's also due to the fact that I have safe browsing practices and I use my computers in a secure way that doesn't put them at risk of being infected.
Firewall: Kaspersky Internet Security 2015 integrated firewall. Fully customizable, once again.
Antimalware:
  • Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium (Real-Time);
  • Junkware Removal Tool (If needed);
  • AdwCleaner (If needed);
  • TDSSKiller (If needed);
  • ESET Online Scanner (If needed);
Even if I don't run these tools often, they're still there when I do a monthly full check up of my system.
Protection Utilities: I don't use any protection utilities like Keyscrambler or any other utilities that would protect your data. Kaspersky does it all, mostly because it have it's own secured encrypted keyboard and financial transaction protection. I however use Truecrypt to protect/lock all my important files in an hidden partition.
Web Browser: Google Chrome 64-bits
Web Browser Extensions/Addons: uBlock, Web of Trust (WOT), Tampermonkey (for userscripts), HTTPEverywhere, Ghostery, LastPass. Considering setting up ScriptSafe for Google Chrome.
Back-up: None at the moment except storing all my personal files on my HDD and running my system on my SSD.
Others: Nope, that's it. I use CCleaner and TFC (Temp File Cleaner) regulary in order to delete all the junk files from my system and keep it optimized. I also use SecuniaPSI to check my programs from time to time and make sure that they are all up to date.

Now it's your turn, let's see what everyone here is using! :)

Edited by boopme, 26 March 2015 - 02:06 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 25 March 2015 - 12:37 PM

You took too long, Aura :wink:

Antivirus: Emsisoft Internet Security. Any BC regular will be familiar with Emsisoft, and I like their products for a lot of reasons - excellent AV & AM protection, low resource impact, nice interface, no unnecessary accessories, unmatched customer support. I consider myself to be a fairly cautious user in terms of surfing, so I guess it's enough.

I used Kaspersky for quite some time (the entire family uses it), but people change :)

Firewall: Emsisoft Internet Security, as I travel sometimes and needed the additional functionalities that the Emsisoft firewall offers.

Antimalware: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium. Yes, I know that Emsisoft already provides AM protection, but I just cannot let go of Malwarebytes :lol:

Protection Utilities: Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium. Stable and easy to use, good protection against exploits. (yeah, I'm too lazy to use EMET)

Web Browser: Google Chrome x64, Mozilla Firefox

Web Browser Extensions/Addons: LastPass, uBlock, Web of Trust. I don't use Ghostery because I have Privacy Risk blocking enabled in EIS.

Others: CCleaner and Defraggler to do some rudimentary maintenance.

That's all I'm using...

Looking forward to see new things :wink:

Regards,
Alex

#3 LiquidTension

LiquidTension

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 25 March 2015 - 01:19 PM

Common sense and regular backups. :wink:

Edited by LiquidTension, 25 March 2015 - 01:20 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 01:23 PM

Of course, everyone should add Common Sense Edition of the Year and brain.exe to their setup, otherwise, it doesn't matter what they have to protect themself, they'll all fail eventually :P

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 25 March 2015 - 01:35 PM

Antivirus: Avast AV [shields on], Avira AV [shields off]
both run scheduled scans
Firewall: Comodo IS's firewall
Antimalware: MBAM, MBAE, SUPERAntispyware, Spybot, SpywareBlaster
Protection Utilities: HitmanPro, several BC utilities on standby; ie, on harddrive but not active unless told to activate by BC techs
Web Browser: reverse order of pref: IE, GChrome & FF [with NoScript & PrivacyBadger]
Web Browser Extensions/Addons: too many to list here
Others: numerous other ad-hoc toys to gather information and generate into text files from time to time.

I do "carrier-level" or "battleship" boots, the longer and more informative, the better.
I have 420 seconds to let all devices within the computer center to fully come up to speed hardware wise, then I can either click F8, or normal.  NoGUI boot, certain thingies off via msconfig
I tried turning off this extra bold, can't seem to undo this double bold

Edited by RolandJS, 25 March 2015 - 02:39 PM.
fixed it for you

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,166 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 01:38 PM

MSE since beta, Microsoft FW, Malwarebytes, SuperantiSpyware.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 01:41 PM

several BC utilities
on standby; ie, on harddrive but not active unless told to activate by BC techs

Concerning that I would be careful since many tools used by the malware removal helpers here are updated weekly if not daily and not all of them have an auto-update feature (like JRT and AdwCleaner) so if you keep them too long, they might be outdated when will come the time to use them. Hence why they always ask you to download the tool before running a scan. Just an advice! :)

Also, I think that my "form" didn't work in your post because you use the enriched editor and it messed it up :P

unite_blue.png

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 01:55 PM

Aura, correct, many of such utilities have to be updated manually; however, having them in my LastResorts bucket reminds me of what is available from BC & WC.  And, correct, copyNpasting that block-O-form into my answer block and then typing inside didn't work.   :)

Edited by RolandJS, 25 March 2015 - 02:38 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#9 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,061 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 25 March 2015 - 02:19 PM

The key component of my protection is the add-on for firefox, NoScript. Behind it i have a normal antivirus, a few scanners (like MBAM free) which I use for on demand scans. I also make sure to keep plugins disabled except when i need them for a tiny minority of sites i visit.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#10 titan1

titan1

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 25 March 2015 - 08:11 PM

Firstly. Thanks aura for the post. It is fun to talk about our existing security set up. Well here is mine-
Antivirus: eset nod 32
Antimalware: MBAM free and hitman pro.
Protection utilities: sandboxie free,spywareblaster
Web browser: Firefox
Web extensions: WOT, Bitdefender traffic light, adblock plus, noscript
Firewall: windows firewall
Back up: Macrium Reflect
Other utilities: Ccleaner, auslogics disc defrag
Last but most important: common sense and a weekly visit on this forum to know about the latest emerging threats helps me to enjoy a safer technology. That's it.
Thank you

#11 6p2xkk

6p2xkk

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 28 March 2015 - 07:16 AM

PC ( the one I'm sitting at, browsing, gaming, email etc, used for things a computer normally does)

AV Bitdefender Pro

FW Outpost Pro

Malwarebytes Pro

Regular disk images

Laptop 1 (connected to TV, never really used as a computer)

G-Data Internet Security

Just one disk image coz nothing ever changes

Laptop 2 (a certain person, not me, uses this one to play farmville day in, day out)

Bitdefender Free

Just one disk image coz nothing ever changes

Think-b4-you-click is enabled on all of them B)

Edited by 6p2xkk, 28 March 2015 - 07:45 AM.

#12 peterracine

peterracine

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2015 - 07:52 PM

I'm going with Avast along with Malwarebytes anti-malware pro. I am always expanding my knowledge of malware removal using tools such as old timers list- it and sysinternals and that probably helps keep my home network protected from malware. It also helps to keep every program on your pc up to date including Windows updates and you current anti-virus definitions. Probably the most important safety measure is that if it is important to you, please back it up and do not keep your backup connected to the machine that you are backing up! I would also like to give recognition to those who write code to help both technicians and end users get rid of malware like Tigzy, xplode, Malwarebytes, sUBs, and of course, bleeping computers.

#13 iangcarroll

iangcarroll

• Members
  • 658 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:58 PM

Antivirus: Emsisoft Internet Security
Firewall: Emsisoft Internet Security
Antimalware: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Protection Utilities: EMET and system-wide DEP
Web Browser: Google Chrome (stable)
Web Browser Extensions/Addons: Adblock Plus, Dashlane
Back-up: None (yet)
Others: Windows 8.1 Enterprise; Hyper-V for VMs

Edited by iangcarroll, 01 April 2015 - 09:02 PM.

Ian Carroll https://ian.sh • Certly Inc

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:35 PM

Protection Utilities: EMET and system-wide DEP

I have been unsuccessful in configuring EMET to allow a balance of security and functionality [getting things done].  Do you have a quick-sheet of how you successfully configured EMET, an example of one Microsoft program, an example of one nonMicrosoft program?  For some reason, I am unable to understand and configure EMET.

#15 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:42 PM

Antivirus  None

Firewall  UFW.

Antimalware: None

Protection Utilities: Port Spoof, AppArmour

Web Browser: Firefox, Chromium.

Web Browser Extensions/Addons: Adblock Plus, No Script, Ghostery , User Agent Switcher.

Back-up: None

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users