Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 and Project Spartan: Next Generation Web Browser

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:18 AM

I thought it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to news about Windows 10 and it's default next generation browser, which is codenamed "Project Spartan". Personally, I'll give it an extensive try and see how I like it. I'll probably one of the first at work to try it as well and I hope that we'll be able to install it as a beta on other version of Windows (not only Windows 10).

There's already a Wikipedia page for it: Spartan (Browser)

​Adobe helps Microsoft open up Project Spartan to web standards
Microsoft to make rendering engine changes with Spartan, IE in Windows 10
Microsoft clarifies roles for IE and Project Spartan in Windows 10

What are your thoughts on it?

On a side note:

Help Microsoft name its next-gen browser

I would call it "Edgy" just for the lulz and also because it uses the "Edge" engine. "Windows Edgy".

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:51 PM

Waitin' for it to leak or release: What the bleep are they waitin' for? Any link to the browser?

Thanks

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:54 PM

I won't be switching ot it when it does come out. Maybe it will be better than IE, maybe far better, but I'm stisfied with the setup i currently have. Firefox for most stuff and chrome for a few sites.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 02:29 PM

since everybody thinks MS is in bed with the NSA (at least in this forum), maybe MS should own that. Name it Big Brother Browser (which is kind of catchy), with the slogan that you can "take comfort in knowing that wherever you surf, the US Government also surfs."

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 02:43 PM

Only a matter of time before telescreens come on the market...

And you might argue the adverts are in Newspeak already...

I've read the novel, so many of the shocking parts of it have already become commonplace.

Edited by rp88, 29 March 2015 - 02:43 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:08 PM

this site http://news.microsoft.com/ says it is ready for use in Win10 TP.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:28 PM

The new build was released today. I'll install it tomorrow evening in one of my VMs and give it a try! :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 11:31 PM

Yawn... Re-branded Ex-PLODE-r 12 if you ask me. (Mr Skeptical, admittedly :wink: )

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:09 AM

Well I just installed the newest build of Windows 10 yesterday with Project Spartan. Didn't do much since I went to bed but I had time to test it in HTML5Test.

kq0Qyco.png

I'll give it that it's only in Alpha so far so this score will probably not reflect the final product.

unite_blue.png

#10 pcangelnow

pcangelnow

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 03 April 2015 - 04:35 PM

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've created an 8 minute video detailing Spartan and it's controls. This is for my customer base but reading the comments I thought you might find it useful.

There is some company branding at the end of the video. Please excuse that. As I said, the video was meant for a different group of people.

https://youtu.be/_qfE8aVlfHY

Hope this helps!

#11 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:30 PM

Project Spartan doesn't do much. It's barely a preview. It's an interactive demo.

I will name it "Internet Dora the Explorer".

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#12 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2015 - 08:11 AM

Project Spartan?

meh_zpsnvwn3ped.jpg

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2015 - 09:14 AM

Well so far, support wise of the "new" web its not the best, I'll give you that. However we have to remember that it's still in Alpha and Microsoft still have months to work on it. It cannot be worse than Internet Explorer in the end, unless you hate the GUI.

unite_blue.png

#14 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:24 PM

unless you hate the GUI.

At least you can see the GUI :wink:

I'm hit with the bug where there is no GUI in the browser. Seriously. Nothing shows up in the browser, except for the webpage and a whole of lot of gray where the GUI should be!

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:58 PM

What build are you on? I had someone at work use his Windows 10 at home with Project Spartan to verify something and it looked all good. Knowing the guy, he was most likely running the latest build too :P

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users