Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accessing Old Registries

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Deadman

Deadman

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 30 June 2006 - 10:49 AM

Due to an irritating series of crashes and bugs, I decided to install a second, fresh copy of windows on the hard drive so I could at least temporarily access my old files. However, when I use 'regedit' I can only see registry files for the new copy of windows. There are some installation CD keys I need to access from my old copy of windows, how can I access and view them?

Edit: The original post didn't mention it clearly, but I installed the new copy of windows in a seperate folder than the old copy, so the old one is still intact.

I tried googling the problem and read something about 'hives' in certain folders, but I haven't seen anything that looks like it might be a hive in the forementioned folders, and I have no idea how to use them in any case.

Edited by Deadman, 30 June 2006 - 10:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2006 - 11:36 AM

Perhaps installing Belarc Advisor would help you. It is free, and it can be downloaded by clicking HERE. It will create a report of a list of hardware and software contained in a computer, along with product keys for software.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Deadman

Deadman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2006 - 10:34 PM

Thanks for the idea, but it doesn't list any of the installation keys from the old registry. The only data it shows about the old programs are the version numbers. Any other ideas?

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 01 July 2006 - 11:10 PM

Everest 1.51 also will reveal the Window's CD Key. You can also try Magical Jelly Bean to retrieve the Window's CD Key.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Deadman

Deadman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2006 - 10:32 AM

That solves the problem of the Windows installation key, but is there any way to retrieve the installation keys of other programs on my system from the old registry?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users