Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc crashed without being able to reboot w/ white desktop and loss of files.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 xxdeusxx

xxdeusxx

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:59 PM

OS Windows 7 64 bit, on an ssd.

Yesterday I bought a couple of video cards off of craigslist. Installation went smooth.

While playing evolve in SLI my rig crashed.  I had assumed it was just the psu overheating.  I left it alone to cool down with the case open and started her up a little later.  surfed the web fine, so I tried playing Evolve again, and after about 20 minutes it crashed, but instead of shutting off completeley, immidiately, the leds and fans in the case were still running.  Then one of the fans started running LOUD.  I tried to figure out which one it was but I'm not sure.  I think it was the psu....   When I finally got it to boot up it had a corrupt file error for khallscroll.exe ... a running application I had previously ended to install a driver update for the two gtx 760's in SLI.   With a mix of a bunch of other corrupt file messages it goes to the desktop where I'm greeted with my recycle bin, and my computer.  I tried running system restore but it only brought back a couple of icons.  I have storage on a HDD and some of the files there are missing as well.  Poop :(

Update:  there are no missing files on the HDD.  And programs I had previously installed are running, like vlc media player (which I can not find the isntall location, and Firefox, which has no icon but still opened.  Without any of my personal data, just like vlc.  It was like they were opening for the first time.

Edited by xxdeusxx, 25 March 2015 - 02:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users