Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excel question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:35 PM

I have tried to google this but can't find an answer.I can only download my bank statements in a CSV

file.That is the only available way from my bank.Here is the problem,the file opens in excel but I can't read it.It is not at all like the statement that shows at the bank.I have a feeling that there is a trick in excel to open it properly but I can't find it.Can anyone help me please.Thank-you. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:22 PM

Try this. Go File > Open and in the dialog box that opens change the file type from "All Files (*.*)" to "Text Files (*.prn; *.txt; *.csv)". Then navigate to and select the file and click "Open".
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 daveydoom

daveydoom

• Security Colleague
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:30 PM

The method Budapest indicated should work.

the file opens in excel but I can't read it.It is not at all like the statement that shows at the bank.

Can you expand on that or explain it further?   Is the data there but not in the expected order?   Or is it "garbled" (for lack of a better term..lol)?

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#4 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:38 AM

To answer your question,it is garbled and it only shows numbers.The answer Budapest gave me worked,not perfect but worked ok.

Thank-you both for your input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users