Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UI settings screwed up by MS Office

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Alchemist

Alchemist

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:54 PM

Somehow or other Powerpoint has completed screwed the setting in my Windows 7 UI. I didn't change any settings IN Powerpoint, but simply viewing a document and that has caused it to break most of the conventions of a standard Windows UI.

Scrolls bars don't scroll anymore. You have to click above and below the bar to move up or down. Windows cannot be dragged AT ALL. They are frozen in place wherever they happen to open and cannot be moved or resized. Menus cannot be opened with a single click anymore. They jump open and instantly close again, forcing many clicks until they accidentally stay open so you can select something Text cannot be selected by clicking and dragging anymore, but clicking anywhere in a document, which used to merely place the cursor/insertion point, now selects random blocks of text. All of this has made my computer seriously annoying to use.

What could PP have changed? I can't find settings related to scroll bars except for appearance. I don't care what they look like, I want them to work. Nor for window dragging, again except for the appearance things. I can't even guess where to look for settings related to selecting text with the mouse. Yes, I rebooted. Whatever PP did has been set somewhere and will not go away until I find the settings.

Edited by Alchemist, 24 March 2015 - 05:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,935 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:13 PM

Hi,

Did you download the PPT from the internet or receive it in a e-mail?

I have to ask this because in case you didn't know Powerpoint files can also contain malicious code!

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:37 PM

The PP file is from class materials. If it contains malicious code then the whole class has the same malicious code.

After getting close to smashing my mouse, I replaced it with another. This seems to be the real cause the problem. Hardware failure. Why it started acting up when I was using that Powerpoint file, I don't know. But it seems to be back to normal now. I'll try disassembling and cleaning the mouse. Perhaps it's just crud and not an outright broken switch. It wasn't unusable, just very erratic.

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,935 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 04:20 AM

Hi,

After getting close to smashing my mouse, I replaced it with another. This seems to be the real cause the problem. Hardware failure. Why it started acting up when I was using that Powerpoint file, I don't know. But it seems to be back to normal now. I'll try disassembling and cleaning the mouse. Perhaps it's just crud and not an outright broken switch. It wasn't unusable, just very erratic.

Hardware problems it's another possibility they can produce all kind of strange behaviors.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#5 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:05 AM

After opening it up and removing the dust and crud as well as I could, it does work better. It still has some glitches, though. I'm wondering if I ought to just toss it and buy another. A mere $10 could save me a lot of aggravation.

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,935 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 12:00 PM

After opening it up and removing the dust and crud as well as I could, it does work better. It still has some glitches, though. I'm wondering if I ought to just toss it and buy another. A mere $10 could save me a lot of aggravation.

If the problem is only with the mouse I would definitively buy a new one.

___
Rui

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,429 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 25 March 2015 - 12:18 PM

laptop or desktop?  if desktop, since most motherboards have keyboard & mouse PS/2 ports, consider going with PS/2, response is usually faster. 

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 25 March 2015 - 02:47 PM

laptop or desktop?  if desktop, since most motherboards have keyboard & mouse PS/2 ports, consider going with PS/2, response is usually faster. 

You are talking about a difference measured in Milliseconds. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users