Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD drive spins but won't play

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bluffwood

bluffwood

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:51 PM

Helping out a friend. His wife is no longer able to play DVDs.

I checked device manager, and the drive is there, and "workinig properly"  it also appears fine in bios.

door opens and closes fine. indicator light blinks. putting in a

DVD you hear it spinning and the head actuator moving sometimes. It never stops. But in [my] computer, right clicking on the device gives you open | explorer | open autoplay none of those choices return anything.

User has Avast Free, and runs malwarebytes free when needed.

Am running Speccy ... resulting file is huge, so I zipped it.

Attached Files

Edited by bluffwood, 24 March 2015 - 03:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 a.h.h.10

a.h.h.10

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:02 PM

Helping out a friend. His wife is no longer able to play DVDs.

I checked device manager, and the drive is there, and "workinig properly"

door opens and closes fine. putting in a

DVD you hear it spinning and the head actuator moving sometimes. It never stops. But in [my] computer, right clicking on the device gives you open | explorer | open autoplay none of those choices return anything.

User has Avast Free, and runs malwarebytes free when needed.

Am running Speccy and will post.

Have you tried other types of discs (music, video game, etc.) to see if they run?

#3 bluffwood

bluffwood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:14 PM

good idea. put in a regular music cd.

does the same thing. looks like it might be reading the data, but never plays or even opens a player.

if you click Explore, it ejects the disc and says please insert a disc.

#4 a.h.h.10

a.h.h.10

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 04:26 PM

good idea. put in a regular music cd.

does the same thing. looks like it might be reading the data, but never plays or even opens a player.

if you click Explore, it ejects the disc and says please insert a disc.

Have you noticed the computer doing anything unusual previously to this incident when trying to play any disc (for example, getting an error message)?

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,131 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:24 PM

The optical eye may be dirty, they do accumulate dust over time.  Cleaning disks are quite cheap and may cure the issue.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:36 PM

CD/DVD players/writers use a laser LED to read and write and, short of physical damage, these are probably the weakest components - they are semi-conductors and can die. It is not even worth thinking about replacing the laser LED - just replace the complete drive if cleaning, as per OldPhil, doesn't work. These drives are fairly cheap and not difficult to replace.

I know you included a Speccy report which would have told me what type of computer you have, but you sent it as a zipped text file. The last, and only, time I looked at a Speccy report in that format my eyes hurt !

However, if the computer is a desktop replacing a drive is simplicity itself. Power off, sides off, touch a piece of the metal frame to earth your self, remove the two connectors from the drive, remove two screws from each side of the drive (the form of lock-in may be even simpler than this), slide out from the front of the case. To mount - reverse this procedure.

If it is a laptop the drive itself may be a little more expensive than one for a desktop but the remove and fit is normally even simpler !  The best thing to do is to search on YouTube for your computer 'Make, Model, and DVD drive' and you will almost certainly find at least one video showing you how to do it.

If you want to post a Speccy report again, all you need to do is to post the URL it gives you, these two images show how to find it -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xwaszwh39bbhxdb/To%20obtain%20a%20%27Speccy%27%20log%20URL.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1eunlfexq9aebij/%27Speccy%27%20log%20URL.jpg?dl=0

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users