Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP G6 VERY Strange Installation/Booting Error -- Possible Hardware?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 laughatthemall

laughatthemall

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:30 PM

I have an HP G6 laptop that is exhibiting a VERY unusual functionality issue -- it will not boot, to some extent. It started out as a liquid spill on the keyboard (not by me); the keyboard didn't work, but was swapped and 'seemed' fine. I booted it into the BIOS and it worked fine from there. However, upon trying to boot to the (then working) hard drive installation of windows, it will not boot. I figured maybe it had a dead hard drive, tried to swap the drive with a known good one (to test initially, further testing would have been done once the system was confirmed to boot on a known good drive; just a matter of time to install windows 7 real quick compared to a full drive test -- and I've seen clearly bad drives test good, even with a full test), and I couldn't install Windows 7. That is to say, I could get it to boot from the Windows 7 CD (Original legitimate disc), BUT only to the Windows logo screen, not to the "Install now/Repair your computer" screen. I figured I should be sure, swapped it with ANOTHER good drive. Still nothing. Tried to boot the Windows 8 disc, would only boot to the loading "Windows" thing as well. So, I figured that is a real bugger, tried to boot both with an external CD drive. Both had the same issue. Tried to boot without a hard drive, just in case something was weird with that. Still the same issue. So, I imagex'd the .wim file of a Windows 7 install, and it gave a "bootmgr missing" error. I figured maybe I did something wrong somehow since the last time I'd done that, so I popped that very same drive into a spare laptop just for fun, changing nothing else. Booted to the "setting up windows" just fine.

This is where I'm perplexed. I can let it sit on the BIOS screen for hours and it will be fine, and when it is stopped on the "Windows" logo (In windows 7 it is after the Press any key > loading bar, the 'glowing' windows orb) it is NOT frozen, just infinitely running; so I don't think that'd be a video issue. I don't understand what is going on here, I've not encountered anything like this. I've ensured all things that can be disconnected, are -- no other drives or anything like that. It just seems odd... Anyone have any ideas here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 illestrate

illestrate

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 04:35 PM

Recommend you start with the basics, since you already checked the HDD the Ram should be next if you haven't.  That new drive that you swapped in,  you were trying to install Windows 7 for that G6Laptop, or it already had Windows 7 from a diff Motherboard/Bios setup?

Edited by illestrate, 24 March 2015 - 04:36 PM.

#3 laughatthemall

laughatthemall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 04:56 PM

Good call on the RAM, I will check that out. The order of things was:

1.) Try to boot from laptop's HDD that worked before the spill. No dice, hung at windows loading screen.
2.) Try to boot from internal CD drive to install Windows 7 Retail (Original, not burned, not downloaded, Microsoft-Original Disc) to different hard drive. No dice.
3.) Tried to install from internal CD drive Windows 8 Retail (Again, all original LEGITIMATE discs), no dice.

4.) Repeated 2 & 3 with external CD drive.
5.) Tried to boot a Windows disc with no hard drive. No change.
6.) Imagex'd a .wim image from a Windows 7 disc (if you are not familiar with this, it simply generates a generic Windows 7 drive, BEFORE any motherboard and hardware specialization has been done.)Still nothing. It is worth noting that when put in another computer, it booted just fine (and not the computer it was imagex'd on, a different brand and hardware setup).

Edited by laughatthemall, 24 March 2015 - 04:56 PM.

#4 illestrate

illestrate

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:09 PM

Possible that the water damaged the mobo somehow?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users