Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any thoughts on the "unchecky" program?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Sundog9

Sundog9

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 12:38 PM

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with "unchecky"  (unchecky.com).

Working with pc home users & their computers is a bit challenging as a lot of people just click on anything & everything without realizing what PuPs are piggybacked to their download. A program like this would help a lot.

I was updating Emsisoft Emergrncy Kit on a customer pc last night & read the Emsisoft article on PuPs. A comment was made about using "unchecky" to help prevent PuP installation. I tried it out on a test pc, and it seems to work as described. It automatically unchecks the piggyback software (Google Chrome, Ask, etc.) prior to program installation.

Any recommendations?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,502 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:33 PM

I have it on all my computers; it does very well!  Although I always do advanced or custom install, all checkboxes unrelated to the main item are unchecked.  And, it even upfronts warns if it believes the install one is about to do may be unwanted. 

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:36 PM

Unchecky is a nifty piece of software to deal with all those click-happy people :) the only thing that put me off is that it's still in Beta, though.

#4 Sundog9

Sundog9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:51 PM

I will keep testing it. If it keeps my customers from installing things they don't want, I will probably put it on their computers.

No matter how many times I tell people to SLOW DOWN, READ EVERY installation box, UNCHECK everything you are not purposely trying to download, most of them still just click through it all anyway. Then they ask how they got DriverUpdate or Ask Toolbar (for example) when they never downloaded it.

I always look at the recommended downloads here for new security/utility programs then check them out. This site has been great, and I appreciate it more than I can say.

I looked for "Unchecky" here in downloads, but didn't find it, hence this post. Thanks for the input!  :)

#5 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:54 PM

No matter how many times I tell people to SLOW DOWN, READ EVERY installation box, UNCHECK everything you are not purposely trying to download, most of them still just click through it all anyway. Then they ask how they got DriverUpdate or Ask Toolbar (for example) when they never downloaded it.

I can relate - my best friend at school actually refuses to listen, saying it's too difficult :blink:

In the end I installed Unchecky and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium on her machine. It's been clutter free since then.

#6 Sundog9

Sundog9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:15 PM

About 99% of my customers are like your friend!

I usually set cleaned computers up with MSE (no ads for them to click on), Malwarebytes AM or Super Anti-Spyware, Emsisoft Emergency Scanner, Ccleaner, Speccy (most of them never dust their pcs either!!!), AdFender, DoNotTrackMe, & Libre Office. I also like to leave a folder tucked away on their pc with tools inside like AdwCleaner, JRT, RogueKiller, KillWin, etc for over the phone help. Bleepingcomputer is awesome!

I think Unchecky will be a beneficial addition to these. Clutter free is good.

Thanks again for the response!  :)

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:20 PM

Just keep in mind that Unchecky will not work if you don't pick a "Custom" installation and/or if the PUP checkboxes aren't in sight. The program itself is good but it have it's limitations. Some people (careful ones, the ones who actually read everything before clicking on "Next") don't have to use it but some does, however there's still that one limitation.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 Sundog9

Sundog9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:34 PM

Thank you!

Nothing is 100% "all you need", and I realize that every program has limitations. Personally, I am extremely careful to read everything. I am always looking for additional ways to help protect my customers who are usually NOT careful at all. Every little bit helps.

I will be sure to use the "Custom" install, and verify the PuP checkboxes.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:38 PM

Also another tip, it's not because an option is "greyed out" that you can't check it/use it in an installer. It's just a tactic to make you think otherwise. The option is fully usable so keep that in mind as well.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#10 Sundog9

Sundog9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:50 PM

Once again, thank you for the valuable information!

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 04:06 PM

No problem, my pleasure :)

unite_blue.png

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,111 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 04:32 PM

Introducing Unchecky on RaMMicHaeL's Blog, indicates it is more for average users who are not careful about reading everything and accept all defaults when installing programs. The blog posting also indicates Unchecky is still a beta version.

I seldom recommend using beta versions of most programs since you never know what bugs or quirks might turn up... then you have to waste time researching and getting things straightened out. The goal of a beta program is to collect information regarding the performance, quality, stability, and functionality of new products in order to iron out the bugs before they are released to the general public as a stable final product. Beta software is not intended for inexperienced users since it may contain bugs ranging in severity from minor features not working properly to problems that may potentially damage your system. If you choose to use a beta program, you use it at your own risk.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#13 Sundog9

Sundog9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:51 PM

Introducing Unchecky on RaMMicHaeL's Blog, indicates it is more for average users who are not careful about reading everything and accept all defaults when installing programs. The blog posting also indicates Unchecky is still a beta version.

I seldom recommend using beta versions of most programs since you never know what bugs or quirks might turn up... then you have to waste time researching and getting things straightened out. The goal of a beta program is to collect information regarding the performance, quality, stability, and functionality of new products in order to iron out the bugs before they are released to the general public as a stable final product. Beta software is not intended for inexperienced users since it may contain bugs ranging in severity from minor features not working properly to problems that may potentially damage your system. If you choose to use a beta program, you use it at your own risk.

Very sound advice. Advice taken. Thanks.

Unchecky does not remove bundled software from downloads of or updates to Adobe Reader or Flash (or anything based on a website) at this time either. The author is aware of this & would like to add it.

A release version of a program like this would be great, although I suppose it would create a larger base of pc users who feel even less need to be careful what they download, where they GET the download, and what may be bundled with it.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,111 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:34 PM

...A release version of a program like this would be great, although I suppose it would create a larger base of pc users who feel even less need to be careful what they download, where they GET the download, and what may be bundled with it.

Indeed...just like with Smart phones which have become a substitute for critical thinking.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#15 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,965 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 25 March 2015 - 03:06 PM

Just to make a mention of this, unchecky does automatically what a user can do themselves by slowly and carefully clicking through the installer. From what i have heard it isn't capable of anything which it is not normally possible for a user to do. I can see the good it can do but am not really sure why a piece of software is necessary when a user can do the unticking for themselves.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users