Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My wife's hard drive crashed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 celticredneck

celticredneck

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 12:17 PM

My wife's hard drive quit a few days ago. Her computer is a HP Pavilliom and was purchased at Staples about 2 years ago. Unfortunately, it came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit pre-installed(no OS disk) I have a new hard drive being delivered today, but, of course, I need an operating system to get it up and running. I was told that HP would provide me with an installation disk. So, I spent several hours on the phone(most of it on hold) and was passed back and forth to several different techs, whose first language was definitely not English. The last one told me that HP doesn't support Windows 7 and I would have to talk to Microsoft. Then he said that he would connect me to Microsoft for assistance. After listening to more elevator music, they hung up on me. So I called Microsoft. They too gave me run around and  when I finally got to talk to someone, I was informed that since my OS was pre-installed, I would have to speak with HP. So back on the phone with HP. Another 15 to 20 minutes on hold and I was finally connected with the biggest idiot of the bunch. He informed me that he couldn't help me unless I got my computer online so he could perform diagnostics. He kept asking how I knew the hard drive was bad and did not seem to understand that when the drive tries to start, it clicks several times and then quits spinning. He finally told me that he couldn't help me since my computer wasn't online I wouuld have to purchase  a new OS from them. At that point, I tolde him where to stick his bleeping computer and hung up. My question here is , "Is there anywhere I can get an installation disk"? I will purchase an new OS if I have to, but I hate the thought of giving either of those two companies more of my money  I do have a Win 7 product code on a sticker that is affixed to the computer

Edited by celticredneck, 24 March 2015 - 12:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 12:45 PM

When you buy an HP computer you are usually prompted to make recovery disks when you first turn it on. If you failed to do that, and the hard drive fails, you're only recourse is to purchase those recovery disks from HP Support or to buy a version of the Windows operating system from a retail outlet. Its far cheaper to buy the recovery disks from HP for about $50 rather than purchase Windows which would be about $120 and up.

You can contact HP Support through the following link.

Hp Support: http://www.support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07143

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 12:56 PM

Apparently you have an OEM Windows, it should not be an Re-Activation problem getting the OS onto new HD.  Let's see what the regulars here say.  My last quoted prices were $170-ish for OEM, $299-ish for MS true-blue.

Edited by RolandJS, 24 March 2015 - 12:58 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:14 PM

Did you confirm that it was a physical HDD issue and not a corrupt file system? With HP you can tap Esc at boot and perform a Hard Drive Diagnostic. If that passes then you may be able to factory reset the drive after you retrieve any data either connecting it to another drive or using a WinPE/Linux bootable disk. Depending on what your wife uses the computer for you may want to look at installing a linux distro like Ubuntu or Mint. You can run either off the CD/DVD drive or a USB flash drive. You can always install Windows later.

#5 celticredneck

celticredneck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 04:53 PM

It is definitely a hard drive failure. My son, who is a programeer for a medium size company, came over and checked it out using the "tap escape method" and it failed.  I know that not all programmers are hardware experts, but mt son is pretty good.

Edited by hamluis, 24 March 2015 - 04:55 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#6 celticredneck

celticredneck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 04:56 PM

When you buy an HP computer you are usually prompted to make recovery disks when you first turn it on. If you failed to do that, and the hard drive fails, you're only recourse is to purchase those recovery disks from HP Support or to buy a version of the Windows operating system from a retail outlet. Its far cheaper to buy the recovery disks from HP for about $50 rather than purchase Windows which would be about $120 and up.

You can contact HP Support through the following link.

Hp Support: http://www.support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07143

It is my understanding that the recovery disks won't work in the case of a failed hard drive. You must do am clean install instead on a new hard drive.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:54 PM

The Recovery Disks should work on a new drive. You can contact HP or post on the HP forum to verify it but this is usually the case for Recovery Disks.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01950054

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:51 PM

The recovery disks will definitely work assuming you have a working cd/dvd drive. You can also get the recovery media on a usb flash drive in some cases.

Normally if you want to reinstall windows on an HP you could either use the recovery disks you make yourself, or if that didn't happen you can also reinstall windows from the recovery partition on the hard drive by pressing a key combination when you first turn on the pc. The recovery disks or the usb drive are also used in case of a hard drive failure such as you have experienced. This will be a clean install inasmuch as this is a new drive. That's the only install available to you right now.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users