Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AV-Comparatives' IT Security Survey 2015

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:35 AM

This year's AV-Comparatives' IT Security Survey

Emsisoft's article on the survey report

Some interesting results in the survey:

Four most important aspects of security protection
  • Low impact on system resources
  • Good detection rate without using the cloud
  • Good proactive protection without using the cloud
  • Good malware removal and cleaning abilities
The number of free security software users has declined

The number of users who rely on free desktop security software has fallen this year to 35.9%. Around 5% do not use any security program, meaning that almost 60% of respondents pay for protection.

Internet security suites are believed to offer more protection than single antivirus products

Nearly two thirds (64.6%) of respondents indicated that they believe an internet security suite offers more security than the same vendor antivirus-only product. Most users prefer an upgraded version of a standard antivirus program, such as an extra firewall.

Users choose security products primarily based on good scores in independent tests/reviews

Nearly two thirds (70%) of users choose a security product based on Good scores in independent tests/reviews. Recommendations from online forums (10%) and friends and family members (7%) accounted for the remainder.

The last time your PC was infected and your security product failed you

A minor number of respondents (4.4%) stated their security product failed to protect their system over the course of a week. A majority (76%) of respondents stated that the last time their security product failed to protect their system was over six months ago or not at all.

The top most common anti-malware manufacturers and security products

In descending order: Kaspersky Lab, ESET, BitDefender, Avast, Avira, Symantec Norton, Qihoo 360, Panda, Microsoft, Emsisoft, AVG, F-Secure, McAfee, Trend Micro.

The top most used anti-malware products per continent

Europe: Kaspersky Lab, ESET, BitDefender, Avast, Avira, Panda, Symantec, Emsisoft, F-Secure, Microsoft, AVG, G-Data

North America: Kaspersky Lab, Symantec, BitDefender, ESET, Avast, Microsoft, Webroot, AVG, Avira, McAfee, Panda, Trend Micro

Asia: Qihoo 360, ESET, Kaspersky Lab, Avast, BitDefender, Avira, Microsoft, Tencent, AVG, Emsisoft, Panda, Trend Micro

South/Central America: ESET, Kaspersky Lab, Avira, Panda, Avast, BitDefender, McAfee, AVG, Symantec, Trend Micro, Microsoft, Emsisoft

What are your thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:16 PM

While the information they provide may be interesting to read, as I have said before....these kinds of comparative testing results will vary depending on a variety of factors to include but not limited to who conducted the testing, what they were testing for (type of threats, attack vectors, exploits), what versions of anti-virus software was tested, what type of scanning engine was used, and the ability to clean or repair. There are no universally predefined set of standards or criteria for testing which means each test will yield different results. As such, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results.

Some of the testing criteria and standards may even be misleading.

...for some unknown reason...the renowned German test lab AV-TEST has quietly (there was no warning) modified its certification process. The changes mean that the certificates produced by the new rules are, to put it mildly, pretty useless for evaluating the merits of different AV products...With AV-TEST’s new certification standards, the onus is on the user to carefully investigate the actual results of each individual test…they may find that a product that blocked 99.9% of attacks has the same “certification” as a product that only blocked 55%.

Comparative testing: A bit of background for the uninitiated
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:26 PM

I wonder what they asked in this survey, quietman7... after all it's a survey and not really a "test".

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,754 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:49 PM

Surveys too can be misleading. Depending on how they are worded, the writer can achieve an expected result.

- Internet security suites are believed to offer more protection than single antivirus products.
- Qihoo 360 is listed as ranking higher than EAM.
- Users choose security products primarily based on good scores in independent tests/reviews.

Most likely the result of an oversampling of misinformed responders.

And since a majority of them indicated that they have a mobile (smart) phone...I am not surprised. Smart phones have become a substitute for critical thinking.

#5 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:14 PM

To be honest quietman7, I'm not surprised why Qihoo 360 has a higher ranking than Emsisoft. A majority of their user base is in China (and other Asian countries to a lesser extent), and a lot of positive reviews like its triple engine and free product.

Do you think that this survey is biased?

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,754 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 04:10 PM

Biased would infer a deliberate attempt to sway the results...so no, I don't think so. The results are a reflection of the respondent's based on their level of knowledge.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:47 AM

My opinion is that Qihoo 360 is highly ranked because (like you said), it's primary used in the Chinese market and other Asian countries. Since a lot of malware comes from this part of the world, combine that with a huge database and the Qihoo researchers are probably discovering new malware and variants everyday at an incredible rythm. Also the triple-engine feature is interesting, but maybe a bit less if you're running a computer with low specs. Also, I'm not surprised to see the top Antivirus products used by continent/region of the world. It matches pretty much every of them.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,754 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:36 AM

Just because a large number of people in particular region rate a particular product high does not equate to its actual effectiveness.

#9 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:48 AM

That's why forums like Bleeping Computer exists, quietman7 :)

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,754 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:53 AM

:thumbup2:

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 12:00 PM

Just because a large number of people in particular region rate a particular product high does not equate to its actual effectiveness.

I know that, but it can affect the ranking and also the detection rates like we saw here :P

Edited by Aura., 25 March 2015 - 12:00 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,754 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 12:04 PM

The affect is skewed results.

#13 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 07 May 2015 - 06:44 AM

Tencent and qihoo have been barred now:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/05/06/antivirus_testers_strip_tencent_of_rankings_after_tweaks_put_users_at_risk/
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/05/01/cheater_test_labs_out_av_vendor_for_using_rivals_engine/

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2015 - 06:56 AM

I wonder if Baidu is the next one on the list to get busted.

unite_blue.png

#15 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 07 May 2015 - 06:57 AM

The article sure makes it sound quite likely. I wouldn't be surprised, to be honest.

regards
myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users