Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

changing RAM: compatibility

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 donisonleague

donisonleague

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:23 AM

Hi all, i'm trying to improve my pc and i'm focusing at the moment on improve RAM. After googling and searching for a while, i think i should have understood what is compatible and what's not, but before buying i prefer to also have a confirmation of what i thought. Here is my motherboard: H-Joshua-H61-uATX (Joshua) This kind of motherboard should support up to 16 gb of ram in a 64x sistem http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03135925 At the moment, as CPU-Z states (but after i poweroff the pc i'll also check by opening the case) i've both slots busy: Channel: Dual SLOT 1: Micron Technology DDR3 PC3-12800 2GB 8JTF25664AZ-1G6M1 1.50V 800MHz SLOT 2: Micron Technology DDR3 PC3-12800 4GB 1GJTF51264AZ-1G6M1 1.50V 800MHz I'd like to substitute only the first slot for the moment, but if necessary (if it is not possible to change only one of the slots) i can substitute both. I'm looking for something like at least 6GB or 8GB If i understood right, this should be compatible for example: http://www.e-key.it/prod-ram-ddr3-corsair-vengeance-8gb... Tell me if i miss some infos to check compatibility or if i didn't understand and also, if you can suggest me ram cards with the specs i'm looking for.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:27 AM

Hi all, i'm trying to improve my pc and i'm focusing at the moment on improve RAM. After googling and searching for a while, i think i should have understood what is compatible and what's not, but before buying i prefer to also have a confirmation of what i thought. Here is my motherboard: H-Joshua-H61-uATX (Joshua) This kind of motherboard should support up to 16 gb of ram in a 64x sistem http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03135925 At the moment, as CPU-Z states (but after i poweroff the pc i'll also check by opening the case) i've both slots busy: Channel: Dual SLOT 1: Micron Technology DDR3 PC3-12800 2GB 8JTF25664AZ-1G6M1 1.50V 800MHz SLOT 2: Micron Technology DDR3 PC3-12800 4GB 1GJTF51264AZ-1G6M1 1.50V 800MHz I'd like to substitute only the first slot for the moment, but if necessary (if it is not possible to change only one of the slots) i can substitute both. I'm looking for something like at least 6GB or 8GB If i understood right, this should be compatible for example: http://www.e-key.it/prod-ram-ddr3-corsair-vengeance-8gb... Tell me if i miss some infos to check compatibility or if i didn't understand and also, if you can suggest me ram cards with the specs i'm looking for.

Donison,

Yes, I recommend you getting the fastest RAM modules that are compatible for that motherboard.

You are correct that the motherboard can only accept up to 16 GB maximum. I suggest you get this type of module: PC3-12800 (DDR3-1600)

Here's my recommended RAM:

Total: $104.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-24 10:27 EDT-0400

#3 donisonleague

donisonleague
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:43 AM

So you suggest me to replace both the modules to get max RAM. I would like to do so and i may consider also to do it, but i would also like to know if it could be possible to substitute only the 2GB module. I should also pay attention to the different timings of the old and the new module, i think, is it right? Or aren't there problems? I think i would avoid this problem if i replace both the modules, but will i have to change some setting on the bios if the timing is different from the one of the old modules?

#4 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:01 AM

So you suggest me to replace both the modules to get max RAM. I would like to do so and i may consider also to do it, but i would also like to know if it could be possible to substitute only the 2GB module. I should also pay attention to the different timings of the old and the new module, i think, is it right? Or aren't there problems? I think i would avoid this problem if i replace both the modules, but will i have to change some setting on the bios if the timing is different from the one of the old modules?

Donison,

In my experience, I've always have had better performance from the computer if you install 2 identical memory modules in at the same time. When you start doing the mix-match thing with RAM modules, you may or may not get the best performance from the RAM modules. So, I play it safe... just replace both at the same time.

Now, if your motherboard had 4 memory slots, then I still use the same concept... replace 2 modules at a time with identical modules. 

Keep in mind... if you had replaced one with a lower speed, for example, if you had one module that was DDR3-1600 and the 2nd one was a DDR3-1333, the computer will automatically "throttle" down the DDR3-1600 down to the DDR3-1333 speed to assure compatibility. If you did that, then you are wasting money on getting a higher speed module only to have it "throttled" down to DDR3-1333.

So... that's why I recommended getting both modules at DDR3-1600.

#5 donisonleague

donisonleague
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:14 AM

Yeah i understood what you're saying, and i think i'll follow up your suggestion. I knew about the automatic speed setting, i have had a doubt about the timing (ex 9-9-9 or 11-11-11) and the bios setting but i think that any change won't be necessary if i will replace both modules. I will wait for a couple more of suggestions about the model of the new modules. Thanks

#6 donisonleague

donisonleague
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:43 AM

I have noticed that the ram you suggested to me is a bit different in a few things: the pin number and the voltage. Could this be a problem?

#7 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:25 PM

I have noticed that the ram you suggested to me is a bit different in a few things: the pin number and the voltage. Could this be a problem?

Donison,

As long it is compatible with our motherboard, it will be fine.

#8 donisonleague

donisonleague
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:31 PM

Donison,

And does the number of pins affect compatibility? (physical compatibility i mean)

Sorry for this newbie question.

#9 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:36 PM

Donison,

And does the number of pins affect compatibility? (physical compatibility i mean)

Donison,

You are correct. 

At the time, I accidently clicked on the wrong line in the listing I was looking at.

Here is the corrected one:

Memory: G.Skill Value 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($104.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $104.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-24 14:35 EDT-0400

Those modules will work. Sorry for the confusion!

#10 donisonleague

donisonleague
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:42 PM

Donison,

Donison,

You are correct. 

At the time, I accidently clicked on the wrong line in the listing I was looking at.

Oh, good, that was the one i was looking for too after you gave me the link to that site :)

I also saw this one on sale:

ADATA XPG V1.0 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211897

Which one would be better between the first you suggested and this last?

#11 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:49 PM

Donison,

Donison,

You are correct. 

Oh, good, that was the one i was looking for too after you gave me the link to that site :)

I also saw this one on sale:

ADATA XPG V1.0 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211897

Which one would be better between the first you suggested and this last?

Donison,

The Adata modules will work as well.

Either brand one will work. I am more familiar with G.Skill products over Adata.

In fact, I don't think I have bought any Adata products over the years.

#12 donisonleague

donisonleague
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:56 PM

Understood. I guess i will definetively follow your suggestion since i haven't buy any adata product in my whole life whilst i had g.skill on my old pc too.

Really thank you for your help and your time.

Last thing. My CPU is an I7-3770, i guess there won't be problem with the new ram modules, right?

(The complete system is the standard one for HP Pavilion p6-2326el)

Edited by donisonleague, 24 March 2015 - 02:06 PM.

#13 donisonleague

donisonleague
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:20 PM

Since newegg doesn't deliver to most of Europe i have had to change my mind.

What about this one: 

RAM DDR3 Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz (2x8GB) 16GB CL9 1,5V

Is it good?

#14 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:12 PM

What about this one: 

Is it good?

Donison,

Yes, the Crucial memory modules will work!

#15 donisonleague

donisonleague
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:18 PM

What about this one: 

Is it good?

Donison,

Yes, the Crucial memory modules will work!

I have been told by their technical support that the Ballistix version wouldn't be compatible :( So at last i have managed to buy the normal version, who has a little bit more latency but should be almost the same.

Thank you for your support, i'll post further news once i will receive the modules.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users