Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unnecessary ASUS Software?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:06 AM

I have an ASUS laptop.

There are quite a few ASUS services running, things I am not interested in at all, like face recognition.  Actually, I prefer a stripped down computer with only essentials.

Do I need all this ASUS stuff?  If I uninstall ALL of it (except for a few helpful programs like battery life monitoring), will my computer still run?  Could removing all these non-essentials improve performance even?

Since I have copied the repair disk from the hard drive partition, do I need a copy of it on my computer?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:02 AM

1) Deleting programs / applications does not in any way effect system performance.

2) Is your system running nicely? If so, I suggest you leave it alone.

3) If you feel you MUST do something, you can look at the processes / apps that load with Windows and eliminate all but those you need loading at boot.

Edited by Allan, 24 March 2015 - 10:09 AM.

#3 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:15 AM

I bought a new Asus laptop a few years back and got rid of most of the bloatware that i didn't want.   There is an Asus bloatware guide somewhere on the net that came up with a google search and it goes through all the stuff and explains what it does and if it is wise to keep it.

Allan knows tenfold what i do and he may be right about the performance aspect , don't know about that .   I just clean reinstalled and didn't bother to avoid installing stuff that i knew i would never use.

"Notebook review" has an Asus bloatware guide if you google it.

#4 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:48 AM

I am very dissatisfied with this computer.  Already I've had to reinstall twice due to a glitch with the mouse pad software.  Whatever it did, I couldn't control the mouse.  It grabbed files, moved them, etc. I thought it was a virus and spent a chunk of cash at the laptop repair shop.  

And it happened again a short while after reinstalling.  I contacted ASUS and they gave me instructions for replacing the driver.  I found others online with the same problem.

No, I am NOT satisfied with the performance of this computer.  I thought all the bloatware might be the problem.  I really want a stripped down computer.

I have another laptop, a Lenovo with either an i3 or i5 processor and I think it runs better than this one.

Do I absolutely NEED the partitioned version of Windows 7 if I have the disks?

Edited by LittleGreenDots, 24 March 2015 - 10:50 AM.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:00 AM

Again, deleting software will not change anything.

You say others online have the same problem. Have you seen any solutions? After speaking with Asus and replacing the driver was the problem solved? If not, it may be a manufacturing flaw (when you say "mouse" I'm guessing you mean the touchpad).

I don't understand your question about a "partitioned version of Windows 7". I don't know what you mean by that.

And if you really want a "stripped down version" the best way to achieve that is by working with an OS disc as opposed to a "reinstall" disc. Then you can format and install the OS followed by the drivers, an AV, Microsoft Updates, and whatever software you choose to install.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:32 AM

As Allan pointed out...there is no such thing as a "stripped down laptop", by virtue of the fact that a laptop by definition is an OEM system and is made to accommodate potential wants/needs of a very large customer audience.

If you want a laptop without all the unnecessary crap...I suggest you buy a System Builder version of Win 7 and then just clean install it.  Of course, that means that you have to find/install the Asus drivers for that particular laptop...as well as all critical updates and any apps that you desire to run.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users