Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer failure, possibly graphics card.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hogfather 2010

hogfather 2010

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:37 AM

5 years old computer. specs:

Processor: AMD Phenom II 955
Motherboard: Asus M4A79XTD Evo
Video Card: asus 250 gts
Hard Disc Drive: Western Digital Blue caviar Blue 500 GB
RAM: 8 gigs kingston (2x4gig)
Network card: Linksys Wireless-N WMP 600 N)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq PS 550W

Problems: about a week ago the issue started with 2 games (europa universalis 4 & kerbal space program) crashing/rebooting the computer. A few seconds before the crash everything turned into 8-bit colours and became unresponsive, then the system restarted.

This happened 2 times then nothing. This morning however, the computer screen will turn black for a few seconds, then turn online again with a message saying "the display driver has stopped responding and has recovered". This happens about 2/3 times, then the sytem will BSOD and reboot. I want to note that this happened while only Firefox & Mozilla Thunderbird were open (and assorted security programs such as firewall, antivirus etc...)

I am currently typing this on the same computer, in safe mode with networking. While the system seems very stable compared to previous, there are still very faint vertical, azure dotted lines, grouped together but with 5 groups across the screen.

SO: I think my graphics card is giving up the ghost. 1. correct?

2. I intend to build a completely new system in august, but right now I can't afford to do a completely new build. The graphics card I was considering for that new system is the nvidia gtx 960. Assuming that the issue lies with the graphics card, can I replace it with a 960, specifically in terms of power supply useage and motherboard compatibility?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 illestrate

illestrate

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:39 AM

If its not a driver issue, like you know you didn't update it then its mostly likely hardware failure.  If not try to rollback the driver to a previous version.  The gtx 960 is a great replacement on the Nvidia website it says that it uses 120w at max, while the 250 gts actually uses more power at 150w isnt that interesting, so you should be fine on the tdp and power needs.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users