Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop fan

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 john8008

john8008

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:58 AM

My brothers laptop got bumped on table when he was getting up , after that the fan started making loud noise ..

i have checked the fan blades all are ok , nothing seems broken inside , cleaned all dust etc too 

Its an old hp laptop with no warranty . ( hp laptop dv6 )

i do not want to send for repair since they charge too much and its an old laptop :/ 

should try to open it up ? i have tried speed control software but that gave me bluescreen error...

no idea what to do ...

thanks in advance for help .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 04:04 AM

I'm no hardware expert but a few simple pointers:

Firstly, before you open up any computer, make sure that the PC has been unplugged (not just switched off) at the mains and that you are earthed using a wrist strap designed for the job.  This will prevent any static electricity from building up and ruining any components.

It's an old laptop, out of warranty so you have nothing to lose by opening it up.  Go round each component and make sure everything, especially the fans, are firmly seated.  Fans are typically screwed in, but something else might have come loose that's chafing against the fans as they spin.

So make sure that everything near the fans are seated properly.  Everything is usually quite tight in a laptop, but just push everything gently but firmly to make sure they are in properly.

It's worth blowing out all the dust at the same time.

Another word of caution though - make sure you put your screws somewhere where they can't roll away and make a note of where everything came from so you can put it back together again afterwards!

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

#3 illestrate

illestrate

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:42 AM

Seems like there might be some mechanical issue with the fan since it was physically bumped, I would make sure everything is firmly seated and connected.  Angoid is right make sure the computer is unplugged and also make sure the battery is removed as well!  Look on youtube for how to take apart the DV6 laptop, its a common laptop to work on so you'll find plenty of step by step videos.  If everything is properly connected and u assume the fan is bad check online for replacement ones i found one on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/251616143745?lpid=82&chn=ps google is your best friend!

#4 john8008

john8008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:58 AM

@ angoid thanks for info , i didnt know about the anti static thing, wil wait till i get it .

@ illestrate thanks for info , and yea i found many guides about this laptop

so far i have cleaned more and lots of big dust particles came out there where 2 very small plastic pieces ... does not seem to be of fan blade but im not sure 

but still the noise is there , im guessing the fan is out of balance or hiting something on edge after getting bumped , lets see :/

#5 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:00 AM

With everything switched off and the battery removed, you might be able to blow into the fan and that should spin it ... if it's chafing against something, you'll hear a similar noise.

What sort of noise is it?  Is it a chafing sort of noise, or something spinning and hitting something as it does so?

Anti-static wrist bands are inexpensive, and not worth not having:

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/anti-static-wrist-strap

Edited by Angoid, 26 March 2015 - 04:02 AM.

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

#6 john8008

john8008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:12 AM

when everything is switched off , power cable and battery removed , i tryed to blow into the fan and it was spinning without any noise , its only when i start the laptop the noise starts

I do not think anything is hitting the fan , sound is exactly similar to this video

Till now i didnt open full thing , still checking :/ , i tried this ( You can check if there is something in the fan easily. Just remove the battery, take off the 3 little silver screws inside the battery compartment, and the touch buttons/power button strip will get off if you pull it. You can see the fan on the top left corner.)

could see half the fan clearly under the panel and still nothing in fan , will get picture soon and post it .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users