Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 hijacked by a remote user, 9 months PRIOR to sale.....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 D5CrrGd

D5CrrGd

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:27 AM

I bought a Toshiba Satelite that was having trouble connecting online. It kept saying that the IP was invalid, or the DNS could not be found...Eventually, I checked the system event logs. There were THOUSANDS of entries made in March 2014 and October 2014. I didn't purchase it until Dec 2014?????? Mostly, they were audits to the security and system files. They created a remote access local user account and manipulated everything I could access. Staples has replaced the laptop, (costing me an additional $85.00, on top of the $350.00 already paid initially, for a problem that I didn't cause. And they allowed me to keep the corrupted hard drive. Now, how do I find out WHO did this and how to prevent it from happening to others?

Edited by D5CrrGd, 24 March 2015 - 01:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 D5CrrGd

D5CrrGd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:16 AM

I should also mention that the pre-installed norton account was manipulated, along with the "Free-Trial" office pack.They both had files that showed corruption and I didn't download either of them!!! They came with something already attached. And when Staples scanned for "Viruses", NOTHING showed up! So, once the remote user was able to implant themselves in my Windows registry files, they became "Trusted" and were able to bypass ALL of the anti-virus or malware software I ran, (And Staples..) because they "piggy-backed" themselves onto legitimate file entries through adding extensions those files. I have never heard of such a thing and I'm wondering if anyone else has heard of this or known of this happening??? I can't be the only one, and until thousands of people are victimized, this doesn't count as a significant problem. I'd like to spare others of this level of violation, if I can....Please help me understand what I can do to prevent this type of problem later. I'm burnt out and defeated by this issue, only because I didn't even know this was a "thing". I expected to open a box and find a brand new, "fresh off the lot" computer. And, instead, I ended up with some "borrowed" product, with ZERO traceability, and a "Maybe" we can get you something close to what you actually wanted......I walked out with a Windows 7 without even realizing until I got it home and turned it on!!!! And they wanted to charge me an ADDITIONAL $137.00!!!!! Why??? So, the manager knocked it down to $85.00. At that point, all I could do was cave. Mid-term Exams are coming up and I have already wasted three months on trying to resolve this issue. AND I PAID MORE FOR A WINDOWS 7????? What?????? Can anyone explain to me what just happpened??? Or maybe someone caught the plate of that bus that just ran me over???? Is this a new sales gimic for $taples when the profits aren't rising enough? Supply and demand? Create an issue and then provide the remedy....at a cost, of course.......isn't that a slippery slope??? Not that Staples was proven to implant anything, but they certainly were quick to "Fix-it". I'm still a little confused.

#3 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:23 AM

Why would you not demand a completely new replacement laptop at no cost, or a complete refund of your money?  Anythiing else is just foolishness.  And I'm not saying I totally disbelieve your story, but it does sound, well, kinda far-fetched.  Guess I'm naturally suspicious of such "dramatic" first posts from new forum members.

#4 D5CrrGd

D5CrrGd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:34 PM

You know, md2lgyk, I wouldn't have believed it either, if it didn't happen to me!!!! But now, Staples had told me that because I waited beyond the usual thirty days of purchase, I wasn't entitled to full cash reimbursement because I didn't buy into an extended warranty.  Instead, they told me that I needed to be given store credit. But their selection was very limited and the original computer was a leftover Black Friday deal, so I ended up having to pay to make up the difference, on a choice that wasn't as good as the original. I also had insisted on keeping the corrupted hard drive, only because I didn't feel comfortable with another three months worth of entries and personal information being sent out to God knows who, or where and do what with it? To say I'm skeptical, by now, is an understatement. This experience has cost me an entire semester of wasted tuition. There is no exception to the rule in a case like this and I'm furious that my GPA dropped further with each passing week! Now, I have to cram and try to salvage whatever is left of this term. I have had the worst luck with Windows 8.1 and I will NEVER buy it again!!!!!!!!!!! So, maybe it is better that I ended up walking out with a Windows 7 instead, but sure as Hell, not for an additional $84.00!!!!! So, altogether, the purchase cost me $434.00 and that doesn't include the additional $50.00 spent on Kaspersky Anti-Virus software (that didn't help one iota). Or the other hundred dollars I spent on a tablet, just to be able to access my online exams and homework assignments, during the time it took to figure out and confirm that it was, indeed, NOT something I had done myself. Ultimately, though, I feel like I just got ripped off. And I didn't know whether or not to question it because it is something I've never heard of happening before. I feel like I should be reporting the issue to their corporate office or something? 

#5 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:45 PM

I wonder if you were sold a system that someone else returned. 

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#6 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:53 AM

Come to think of it, my Toshiba Satellite laptop came from Staples.  Bought it about 6 months ago.  It was a display model, and the only one left so the price was excellent.  Because there was no way to know what customers might have done to/with it while it was sitting on the shelf all set up for operation, Staples wouldn't give it to me until they had returned it to its out-of-the-box state by reinstalling Win 8 and all the other software.  That included all the trial versions of stuff and other bloatware, but the first thing I always do with a new machine is purge it of such junk.  I've never had a problem with the thing other that a few I caused myself LOL.  

I suggest you consider contacting your local government's consumer affairs department (or whatever it might be called where you live) and also your state Attorney General's office.  If Staples did this to you, I'm certain you're not the only one.  As a last resort, there's also small claims court, which is relatively inexpensive.  And neither side in a dispute is permitted to bring a lawyer.

Edited by md2lgyk, 25 March 2015 - 07:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users