Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RKill on Android tablet enquiry.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wzwzy

Wzwzy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:58 PM

Hello, Bleeping Computer,

I once downloaded rkill onto my Android 4.2.2 tablet to then install onto a windows xp pc ,I successfully transferred rkill to my pc but I remember not being able to find the rkill on my tablet to delete it- I forgot about it- but now a year later, my tablet has lost its internal mount sdcard script or possible hardware failure but recently I got it running again and scanned it with Bit Defender free and the very first file it scans is 'rkill' so i wonder if it may be the rkill causing the bootloops and mount failures.

I cant find it anywhere on the tablet but i cant access its internal sdcard so it may be on that or in Data,

but I can do a factory reset in stock recovery so its probably not in data but on the internal sdcard.

Storage reader states it is /actj not mounted with 2.1gb.

Its a bit of a struggle getting it into recovery but the last time I factory resetted and it works for about 4days then bootloops, last time I managed to root it so if I could mount the internal sdcard in terminal I could delete the rkill or delete the rkill via terminal.

Other thing to note is as its an Actions Semiconductor Dual Core so it refuses to adb but terminal su's ok.

At present im trying to get it back into recovery to try again, as It seems to stall on android boot logo just before lockscreen, in fact lockscreen showed for a few seconds before it went back to android boot logo,(this is not an urgent request by any means as ive already replaced it but still,) any advice would be greatly appreciated.(thanks)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,087 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:13 AM

:welcome: to BleepingComputer.

You can ask the developer (Grinler), site owner of Bleeping Computer...a question, report an issue or suggestion in this RKill - What it does and What it Doesn't - A brief introduction to the program which he monitors for issues with RKill.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Wzwzy

Wzwzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 12:41 PM

Thanks for the welcome "quietman7" I thought I was posting in that thread...maybe I'll copy and paste it into there, thanks.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,087 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:10 PM

You're welcome.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:53 AM

I know I might be a little late in the thread, but I doubt that RKill caused these issues on your tablet Wzwzy, since .exe files (which RKill is, or even the .com version) cannot be executed under Android. Plus, after a such amount of time, I'm sure that it's something else that caused this failure. Android storage can be complex when you're not used to it, since there's files everywhere, maybe that's why you couldn't find the RKill executable. We'll know for sure once you ask in the RKill support thread but like I said, I doubt an .exe (designed for Windows) would cause this issue under Android that cannot execute that file type.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,087 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:42 AM

That is why the OP was referred to Grinler.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users