Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase template: New computer for home

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JamAli

JamAli

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:36 PM

Good day,

My budget for the new computer is: 1000

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? mail, web browsing, gaming, studies

What software do you intend on using on the computer? avast, google chrome, downloadable games, windows, microsoft office suite, adobe, mendeley

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? Yes. Large volume: Neverwinter Nights, Witcher, Starcraft, World of Warcraft, 

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? If studying - then 3-5 programs at the same time. Otherwise, close when done using

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? Yes

Will you be overclocking? Not expected

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices? Jamaica

How many monitors are you planning to use? One

Do you need peripherals? OS? I think I would like an external drive - but worry about keeping it cool enough during storage (is that a valid concern?)

Any particular reason why you are upgrading? Current pc (
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1, Dell Studio XPS 9100, Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz, RAM: 6.00GB, Type: 64-bit Operating System) keeps freezing at start screen or at desktop screen, or when launching software. I used bleepingcomputer.com to assist, and it seemed to help but started again. I brought in a technician who tried everything (changing hardware, wiping pc, fiddling with bios) but the bleeping thing won't stay on :smash: . It's a pity. It's still young. And it was awesome when it worked. Don't know what the problem might be. A virus? A hardware problem?

My only concern is, if a virus, I have saved all the data on-line: could I risk putting a virus on my new pc when I download the data from my backup site?

So I think I need a new CPU only, but not sure since everything supposedly checked out fine. I don't think it could be a monitor problem. :mellow: 

Also, the new pc is to be used by an older person who does NOT like touch screens or anything too complicated. And what's the chance of this occurring again with a new pc?

Thanks,

JamAli

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 11:24 PM

If the technican wiped the system and it still freezes, then I suspect it's a hardware failure of some kind. Since it can be a number of things it's difficult to determine the culprit. I'll list a few things that come to mind, but it can be very simple or something very complex and difficult to pinpoint without diagnostics. The technician that inspected the pc may not of been equiped enough to deal with it. Such as testing the power supply in the field really cannot be done. You can check simple voltages, but this still doesn't rule out the PSU. A bench test must be performed on a scope to check ripple and loads.

1. We can never rule out malware and viruses. They can cause a great deal of dmg to the system that can mimmick hardware issues. Since you have mentioned that the systeme was wiped and restored, then this supports the idea that a hardware issue is indeed the problem. However, be aware if you restored a computer from a corrupt backup you will likely have the same problem. A fresh clean install should be done.

2. System motherboards do fail. Components on the motherboard such as capacitors can leak and fail. Since they have to do with maintaining voltages and power across the system it becomes unstable.

3. Hard drive failure. Even though you reinstall the operating system fresh it's still being placed on a hd with ongoing issues. Sectors become corrupt again and once more problems arise.

4. Memory module mismatch and/or misconfigured memory, wrong types of memory, failing memory.

5. Overclocking, improper bios CPU/Memory clock settings.

6. Overheating issues, clogged fans, cpu heatsinks, front and rear vents.

7. A failing Power supply unit. Or one that cannot deliver the power needed

8. Simple dead bios battery that reset the bios settings to something else that caused wrong system configurations like that on line #5.

9. Wire shorts, bad grounding, faulty cables etc.

10. chipset drivers, bios update may be needed.

Edited by technonymous, 24 March 2015 - 12:00 AM.

#3 JamAli

JamAli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:41 AM

Thanks technonymous. All your points seem on the mark. Will have them attended to asap.

#4 JamAli

JamAli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:06 PM

But any suggestions on what my new unit should be?

#5 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:23 AM

I can help with that. The extra $30 is really worth it. I also bought only from Newegg, which has international shipping.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($226.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($93.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Corsair Force LS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 970 4GB XLR8 Video Card  ($328.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Enermax Thorex ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($85.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1030.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-25 10:23 EDT-0400

Sorry if I snap at you. I can't stand stupid for more than 5 minutes at a time.

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 25 March 2015 - 10:35 PM

I can help with that. The extra $30 is really worth it. I also bought only from Newegg, which has international shipping.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($226.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($93.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Corsair Force LS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 970 4GB XLR8 Video Card  ($328.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Enermax Thorex ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($85.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1030.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-25 10:23 EDT-0400

That's a good build on a budget. However, At Newegg.com I would go a little extra $239.99 for the i5-4790K. K means the multiplier is unlocked and you can get better turbo clocks. Or you could save a few bucks and salvage hardware and reuse the case, and not get another hd. Then take that money and put it into a even better cpu the i7-4790K for $339.99 That processor is a beast on turbo clock. That will realy make that GTX 970 shine. Also, be aware that motherboard in this build the extra pci-e slot is 4x not 16x more higher end expensive motherboards with have better. Other than that, this a nice build and I would have done the same with something similar. In reivews i5-4690k vs i7-4690k there is a 10-20% increase in performance gaming. A $100 bucks for that kind of performance increase is worth it.

Edited by technonymous, 25 March 2015 - 10:44 PM.

#7 JamAli

JamAli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:49 AM

These sound great. But, aahm, I don't have the know-how to actually build a CPU myself. Can I order these and they build it for me?

#8 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:39 AM

It isn't really that hard. If you know how to upt square pegs into square holes and circle pegs into circle holes, then you will be fine.

Sorry if I snap at you. I can't stand stupid for more than 5 minutes at a time.

#9 JamAli

JamAli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2015 - 06:53 PM

Thanks folks

#10 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:12 PM

Here is my suggestion.  If you do no want to build it yourself take a look at magicmicro.com.  They have excellent pricing and good configurations.  You can pick out a few your looking at and post them here for us to critique.  I admit I do not know if they will ship to your location but you an always send them an email and ask.

#11 JamAli

JamAli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:04 PM

Thanks. Appreciated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users