Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Allow indexing service on hard drive and/or USB drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:28 PM

I read some comments indicating that enabling the indexing service for faster searches actually slows Windows down. I checked my two PCs and discovered that some of the disks have it enabled and other do not:

• Desktop C-Drive: Enabled (465 GB)
  • Desktop D-Drive: Enabled (1.99 GB "Recovery" drive (?))
  • Desktop USB Drive: Enabled (465 GB)
  • Laptop C-Drive: Disabled (465 GB)
  • Laptop USB Drive: Enabled (465 GB)

The USB drives are used for Carbonite's mirror image backup.

Screen shots of the two laptop drives are in this Dropbox folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fkvb0yqpzh178ra/AAA8I2nHmvB7C2WQTu5z_1Fja?dl=0

Thinking they should all be the same, I chose one that had it enabled, the Desktop USB Drive, and unchecked that option. The disk started thrashing furiously. It continued for 20 minutes. The progress bar did not show any progress (completely blank).

Thinking I had made a mistake, I clicked the Cancel button and tried to exit. I got the same screen with the indexing option unchecked. Thinking I could recover by rechecking that option, I did and clicked OK. The disk started thrashing furiously as before and has been for abotu 20 minutes.

Questions:

1. Have I hosed that disk?
  2. What should I do now?
  3. Should I have this options checked or not for each of these drives?

Thanks

PS: What's with the 2KB attachment limit. I don't think I have any files that small!

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:16 AM

- Don't worry. When you change the index setting then Windows must update the index(es) (again) and re-read the entire drive. That's causing the "thrashing".

- How many times do you use the search feature ? If you don't use the search funtion that much then you can disable it.

- Do you need to pull info from those backups regularly ? If not then I would disable indexing for the USB drives.

#3 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:26 AM

- Don't worry. When you change the index setting then Windows must update the index(es) (again) and re-read the entire drive. That's causing the "thrashing".

Yes, but for how long? When I disabled it, it thrashed for over an hour. It shouldn't need to recreate indexes when it is disabled, should it?

I added another screen shot to the Dropbox folder. It shows the little "Applying Attributes..." dialog that shows the thrashing. The fienames flash by very rapidly. This continues for hours whether enabling or disabling indexing.

- How many times do you use the search feature ? If you don't use the search funtion that much then you can disable it.

Do you mean Windows search (Start | Search | For files and folders)? I use that at least a couple of times a day. I have indexing enabled on the desktop and disabled on the laptop. I can't tell any different in the search speed, and the laptop has a slower disk.

- Do you need to pull info from those backups regularly ? If not then I would disable indexing for the USB drives.

*I* never access the backup (USB) drives. Carbonite accesses them all the time, but I wouldn't think it would be using the search facility.

Does having the indexing facility enabled really slow the computer down that much?

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

#4 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:43 PM

Did some extra research.

- When you switch Indexing on or off for one drive then Windows needs to go through every (sub-)folder on that drive applying the change to every (sub-)folder & file.

- Instead of indexing the entire drive you also can let Windows index a selection of (sub-)folders you use/open regularly. That means fewer files to index and that speeds up the search & index process (both for the computer & you).

- Switching off the index feature ? I don't know whether that would speed up or slow down the search for files. A matter of trial and error, I suppose.

- If you want to reduce the time needed for indexing then I would recommend to decrease the amount of files on your harddisk(s). A good program to start with is Piriform's CCleaner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users