Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I am so confused anymore.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mojo52

mojo52

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 06:42 PM

HI,

This is my first post ever so I hope you can understand me.

I have always wanted to build a computer with my son

but I never thought I could do it.

The problem is the last 3 computers I have purchased

have always given me many problems with viruses or

malware or whatever that could slow a computer down.

It always seems like when there's a problem, it's a software problem,

"except recently".

About 6 weeks ago my computer that I am presently using 

a local shop built it for me for around $2200.00.

I was on it all night, but when I turned it on in

the morning it said "bootmgr is missing"

I could not figure it out. So I took it to the shop and they said the

hard drive was bad, which had my C drive with windows 7 on it.

I would have to buy a new 1GB HD and a new copy of windows.

I have virus protection on all my computers along with malware and ccleaner

but yet I always get tons of errors. 

I use system restore when I have to but is there a way to

completely wipe your hard drive back to the beginning

like when it was new.

Or better yet Is there a computer made that makes it easy

to completely restore your computer, Maybe HP or Dell

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:56 PM

HI,

This is my first post ever so I hope you can understand me.

I have always wanted to build a computer with my son

but I never thought I could do it.

The problem is the last 3 computers I have purchased

have always given me many problems with viruses or

malware or whatever that could slow a computer down.

It always seems like when there's a problem, it's a software problem,

"except recently".

About 6 weeks ago my computer that I am presently using 

a local shop built it for me for around $2200.00.

I was on it all night, but when I turned it on in

the morning it said "bootmgr is missing"

I could not figure it out. So I took it to the shop and they said the

hard drive was bad, which had my C drive with windows 7 on it.

I would have to buy a new 1GB HD and a new copy of windows.

I have virus protection on all my computers along with malware and ccleaner

but yet I always get tons of errors. 

I use system restore when I have to but is there a way to

completely wipe your hard drive back to the beginning

like when it was new.

Or better yet Is there a computer made that makes it easy

to completely restore your computer, Maybe HP or Dell

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Mojo,

The 'bootmgr' is caused by the hard drive losing the Boot Manager by way of some sort of corruption or virus/malware program erasing it.

A little explanation of what a Boot Manager does:

A boot manager, also called a boot loader, is a small program that places the operating system (OS) of a computer into memory.

So, in a nutshell, if the boot manager gets UNinstalled or corrupted in some way, then the computer cannot continue beyond the boot manager because... well... it's GONE!

Having said all of that...

I think the computer store that you took your computer back ripped you off big time!!

First of all, what they should have attempted to do was something like this:

• Boot into Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) and perform a "Startup Repair".
  • If that also fails then boot into WinRE again, and go to the "Command Prompt" and execute this command: Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd

Don't worry if you don't know what those 2 methods mean, it's not important for the purpose of this thread.

Now, it looks like the computer store didn't bother attempting to do either method in trying to restore the boot manager. They just took the easy way and made you get a new hard drive and buy a new copy of Windows. More money that you probably didn't have to spend and more than likely, the hard drive was still under warranty from the hard drive manufacturer. All the computer store would have to do is a RMA on the hard drive and they would have gotten a brand new hard drive replacement... for FREE!

Wow... what a way for the computer store to take advantage of people like yourself! That's almost unethical!

I wish you had come to Bleeping Computer first and we would have helped you take the proper steps to avoid getting ripped off.

Now, you have asked "is there a way to completely wipe your hard drive back to the beginning like when it was new?"

Yes! The 2nd time that you went back to the computer store, and they made you get another copy of Windows, they should have given you an Authorized copy of Windows... regardless of the version... you paid for the copy, therefore, you have the right to have that disk copy in your possession! If you did NOT get a copy, go back to the computer store and demand that the store give you one!

Also, computer store should have given you the installation drivers disk for the motherboard and the graphics card. If you did not get those when you bought the computer, ask the computer store for those disks... the disks belong to you because you paid for the computer which includes any installation disks.

Now, that you have the Windows disk in your possession, put the disk into the CD/DVD drive. You will have to turn on the computer in order to open up the CD/DVD drive tray, then put the disk in, then turn off the computer. Wait about 10 seconds, then turn on the computer, now at that point, start pressing the F12 key to force the computer to load the Menu option of where the Windows disk is located, Select the CD/DVD drive option, you will use the keyboard arrow keys to move up or down to the desired option and press the Enter key.

Now, the disk should be loading up and the installation will start shortly. Follow the steps as shown in the slideshow in the link below.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/windows-7-new-install-part-1_10.htm#step-heading

NOTE! When you get to slide #10, there will be partitions that might be shown... Click on the Drive Options (Advanced), then you will see the option to delete the Partitions... it should be the red X. Highlight the first partition on the bottom of the list in the window above the red X... the work your way up to the top. At that point... you should see the same picture as shown the slide #10. Go ahead click on the Next button and proceed from there!

At this point, disk install will take over and reformat the hard drive and install a fresh new copy of Windows.

Then take the motherboard drivers installation disk and install all drivers that is required by the motherboard.

Report back to us if this is successful!

#3 illestrate

illestrate

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:57 AM

They seriously scammed you, what kind of company would not replace that hard drive for free?  It was a NEW BUILD.  No bootmgr does mean no OS can be booted cause it can't be loaded or found due to corruption.  They should have the original key and you actually should've gotten that copy for yourself idk why they would sell a product and not remember or give the key to a customer.  As for the hard drive you can run it through tests to determine if theirs any problems with it, better try another place that offers cheap diagnostics if you can't do it yourself.  I'd definitely recommend you installing windows on your own once you get it its not too hard as Serpius explains.  Just make sure you have a driver cd and keep the drivers in mind.  Without a network driver you wouldn't be able to connect to the internet and would need a valet connector for example.

Edited by illestrate, 24 March 2015 - 06:58 AM.

#4 mojo52

mojo52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:37 PM

Thanks guys for you good advice. I wish I had some of your talent when it comes to computers.

First of all I live in a small town in West Virginia where there is only 1 computer shop unless you want to drive for a few hours. 2nd they did a bad job building my computer. You can see all the wires tangled up through the window. The door won’t stay on. They put the key sticker on the door window. I can't move it without ripping it. One day my son tried to clean the door window and the cleaner went on the adhesive paper key and smudged a few numbers.

I called Microsoft to try and get a new copy of windows 7 and they said the last 3 key numbers were wrong. I explained to them what happened but they didn’t care.

Instead they wanted to sell me a repair warranty for $299.00. That’s when I really got depressed. It took me about 20 minutes to get them to understand I don’t want it.

Serpius, thanks for the site on “How to Perform a New Installation of Windows 7.”

I know that’s going to help me when I get a new disk of windows.

illestrate you mentioned about a driver cd and a network driver.

The computer shop told me all the drivers would be on the new windows disk I buy. Personally I don't have much faith in them.

All I wanted was a video editing computer with Adobe Premiere.

I couldn't find any at Best Buy or Costo's. That’s why I thought I would have to get one built for me.

I should of got the courage and tried myself. I know I need about 16 OR 32GB of RAM and a fast processor like a Intel i7.

The graphic’s card I’m not sure about, all these technical terms like Quadro and cuda cores and SLI. I’m not sure at all about the motherboard { maybe Asus ). I thought it would be nice for a SSD drive for the operating system and two WD 1 or 2 TB black hard drives for all the video storage. My 17 year old son who also likes video editing wants me to buy that Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper Case. I think it’s a gaming case. I also like a Corsair power supply but what really scares me is all those wires. Just the case has enough to confuse me.

Well, I tried to have my local shop build me one and they failed. So for around $1900.00. this time I have 3 choices. # 1 Build a computer # 2 Buy a Workstation HP and # 3 Buy a IMAC.

Once again any idea's would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by mojo52, 24 March 2015 - 03:47 PM.

#5 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 04:23 PM

Thanks guys for you good advice. I wish I had some of your talent when it comes to computers.

** Rest of post deleted for brevity **

Well, I tried to have my local shop build me one and they failed. So for around $1900.00. this time I have 3 choices. # 1 Build a computer # 2 Buy a Workstation HP and # 3 Buy a IMAC.

Once again any idea's would be greatly appreciated.

Mojo,

The fact that computer store told you that all of the drivers are on the Windows Disk is a big LIE!! That's not even remotely true!

I know you are stuck between a rock and a hard place regarding the computer that you got.

When your son gets his own money, then he can get anything he wants for that computer. Don't let him tell you anything different. The computer will not run any better regardless of the case... with a few exceptions, but in this case, a different case will not help your current situation. Save your money!

PM me privately and I will assist you in regards the Windows Disk issue. I've learn a few tricks in my trade. I will not divulge that information in a public thread.

Those 3 options you listed... if you can build a far better computer for almost half of the $1900 price tag.

Here's an example of a build for about $920 plus you get your own Windows 8.1 disk!

You can get more powerful builds than this, but judging from what you want from it, this will do the job nicely. 

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($227.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($114.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Apotop 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($143.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($55.98 @ Newegg) 
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer  ($16.99 @ Directron) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($134.95 @ B&H) 
Total: $912.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-24 17:21 EDT-0400

#6 illestrate

illestrate

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:23 PM

Yeah windows 7 would not have the drivers that you need for the Motherboard and devices.  Really recommend you building one yourself much cheaper and gives you better knowledge, definitely recommend you following correct procedures and safety measures (ESD).  Cases are pretty much just for aesthetics or for amount of bays / port placements / airflow differences.  I mentioned the network driver as an example like say you had the cd reinstalled Windows, and bam your not connected to the internet since theres no driver for it, in most cases you'd update the drivers online from the Motherboard Website / and whatever chipset you need to update, but without internet access you wouldn't be able to download anything or connect online.  Asus, Gigabyte are good brands, SSD id definitely recommend in terms of relative speed, Don't be scared by the wires make sure you get appropriate wattage to supply power for all your components you'll be able to understand which goes where by looking up a tutorial SATA / Molex / P1 / P4 / PCIe just to name some.  Video editing/rendering requires a lot of processing from a CPU the one Serpius suggested comes with the new Haswell architecture so its great for your sons needs. Definitely need to find out who these guys are that worked on your computer that is an example of a poor build.  Take this opportunity to construct a machine on your own and you'll definitely be happy like this guy Serpius has 20 years of experience so give him a pm for sure.

#7 mojo52

mojo52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:32 PM

HI GUYS,

How you been doing?

Sorry I took so long to write back but my health has been quite poor.

I was wondering if it's possible to take a minute and see if I may ask about a different project since

I'll be getting surgery and I might be bedridden.

I am still building a computer like the one Serpius suggested

but for now I hope you wouldn't mind answering a few other questions.

I had a Magnavox DVD-R recorder model mdr537h with a 1 terabite  hard drive built in

that I ordered from walmart.com for $325.00. I really loved that thing. I saved all my movies

on the hard drive, and I copied all my camcorder video's to disk through firewire 1394.

It was about 3 years old and it finally quit working yesterday. The Optical drive refused

to open and a error number ( U99 } showed up every time.

My question is to you: is a DVD-R recorder with a built in hard drive similar to a media center?

I want to build a quiet system that will be suitable for playing full HD videos, listening to music

and view my photos. 

I'm not sure what parts I need and would be compatible.

But if you can help me I would really appreciate it.

Most of all the DVD-R units have only hdmi out, which still makes for a great picture on my HDTV.

But it would be nice to have a hdmi input to get the best picture quality for when recording.

Would that HDMI input be on the motherboard or graphics card or just a HDMI card.

To bring digital video in from my camcorder I guess I would need firewire1394.

I know a small case like a Silverstone case would be nice.

I guess I would need a TV tuner capture card. A optical drive.

A motherboard and 4 gigs of memory, a SSD hard drive, a power supply, CPU and a quiet cooler.

I won't be playing any games at all so do I need a graphics card?

This might be a dumb question but "why do I need a operating system"?

That Magnavox was great. It recorded off the TV. It had a big hard drive. It had a optical drive.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-MDR557H-F7-1TB-Hard-Drive-DVD-Recorder-with-Digital-Tuner/36246088

And yet no OS! I know I need a user interface like XBMC but if I am not planning on using this media device

for the internet why do I need windows 8.1?

Any Advice Would Be Appreciated.

#8 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:53 PM

HI GUYS,

How you been doing?

Sorry I took so long to write back but my health has been quite poor.

I was wondering if it's possible to take a minute and see if I may ask about a different project since

I'll be getting surgery and I might be bedridden.

I am still building a computer like the one Serpius suggested

but for now I hope you wouldn't mind answering a few other questions.

I had a Magnavox DVD-R recorder model mdr537h with a 1 terabite  hard drive built in

that I ordered from walmart.com for $325.00. I really loved that thing. I saved all my movies

on the hard drive, and I copied all my camcorder video's to disk through firewire 1394.

It was about 3 years old and it finally quit working yesterday. The Optical drive refused

to open and a error number ( U99 } showed up every time.

My question is to you: is a DVD-R recorder with a built in hard drive similar to a media center?

I want to build a quiet system that will be suitable for playing full HD videos, listening to music

and view my photos. 

I'm not sure what parts I need and would be compatible.

But if you can help me I would really appreciate it.

Most of all the DVD-R units have only hdmi out, which still makes for a great picture on my HDTV.

But it would be nice to have a hdmi input to get the best picture quality for when recording.

Would that HDMI input be on the motherboard or graphics card or just a HDMI card.

To bring digital video in from my camcorder I guess I would need firewire1394.

I know a small case like a Silverstone case would be nice.

I guess I would need a TV tuner capture card. A optical drive.

A motherboard and 4 gigs of memory, a SSD hard drive, a power supply, CPU and a quiet cooler.

I won't be playing any games at all so do I need a graphics card?

This might be a dumb question but "why do I need a operating system"?

That Magnavox was great. It recorded off the TV. It had a big hard drive. It had a optical drive.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-MDR557H-F7-1TB-Hard-Drive-DVD-Recorder-with-Digital-Tuner/36246088

And yet no OS! I know I need a user interface like XBMC but if I am not planning on using this media device

for the internet why do I need windows 8.1?

Any Advice Would Be Appreciated.

Mojo,

My 1st question to you is this...

Are you able to take out the hard drive that is in the Magnavox?

If so... you can get something like this docking station...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/301383599477?lpid=82&chn=ps

Now, at the very least, you can still view the movies and whatever stuff that you did save.

In regards to HDMI ports... to the best of my knowledge, all HDMI ports are bilateral or 2-way. This means that you can receive and send out HD media. That's essentially what you want to do. 

Think about it for a moment... in my case... I have a cable TV box that has a HDMI port in it... so the cable TV guy plugs the HDMI cable from the cable box to the back of my HD TV which has 3 HDMI ports. That enables me to view HD content, but also... this cable TV box has the ability to RECORD HD content and playback the HD content that I had recorded. Therefore, the only way that can happen is if the HDMI ports are functioning as 2-way... send and receive. 

Same concept is applied in the situation of you wanting to build a media center.

Use the same computer build that I had suggested a few weeks ago... but add this adapter card....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116028

That will enable your new computer build to be a multiple functioning hardware that you can use for computing, viewing and recording HD and non-HD content all under one computer. 

No need to buy any other devices to meet your needs.

Let us know if that is what you are looking into.

#9 mojo52

mojo52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 04:32 PM

Thank You Serpius.

You make things easy for newbies like me to understand.

I'm kind of new to this forum so if you don't mind can you

tell me how to get to the computer build that you had suggested a few weeks ago?

I'm really excited to read it and all your other post.

Thanks.

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 11 April 2015 - 06:28 PM

From the forum rules :

All help must be provided in the forums or on our IRC Chat channel. We do not allow support to be provided or requested via personal message, email, or remote desktop control programs (Logmein, TeamViewer, etc).

I bring this point to your attention because problems are to be solved and advice given in the BC forums or on the chat channel. This is so that everybody can know what is being said and an element of quality control can exist.

Chris Cosgrove

#11 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2015 - 06:56 PM

Thank You Serpius.

You make things easy for newbies like me to understand.

I'm kind of new to this forum so if you don't mind can you

tell me how to get to the computer build that you had suggested a few weeks ago?

I'm really excited to read it and all your other post.

Thanks.

Mojo,

Go back to post #5 in this thread...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/571096/i-am-so-confused-anymore/?p=3663253

Then, order the stuff from that list.

When you get all of the components, let us know, and I will send you video links on how to build your computer.

Let's do things one-step-at-a-time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users