Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Super Slow Computer - Reprise

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Scottintexas

Scottintexas

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 05:42 PM

This is such a common thread that it is already obsolete. BUT! Other than the common "paste the log here" entries; just what are we looking for? I have been through the Start-Up programs, running services, etc.

Randomly my computer just stops to think. Open Firefox and everything starts to load up, then it stops to think about it. No cursor, no response, just wait. Snippet Tool just decided to take a vacation and no longer works. I have to contact "The Administrator." I am the Effin Administrator! At least I like to think so. I have given myself the power to do anything I want, but there are still things that I am told (by the all knowing Windows System) that I don't have permission for.

I have tried updating the drivers using "Fix-It Driver Repair" by VCOM (probably a POS). I have run MalwareBytes, CCleaner, Defrag, Registry Defrag, this that and the other thing. I have been through this forum a thousand times looking for answers and have tried all of those I saw that relate to my problem. But nothing changes. I see adds for "Make your computer run like new!"

"Just pay $150 forever and you have a brand new computer!"

Any body try that?

Just what in the $%^# am I supposed to look for? Something is slowing this system down. I have 8GB ram, 1 TB HD, Windows 7 Proffessional, AMD E-350, 1.60 GHz processor, 64 bit operating system, bleep hot computer that acts like a TRS-80. So what's the deal?

I am at the point of believing that Microsoft is purposely causing slow downs with their 87000 updates per year to keep the system "Safe." It seems there are 21 updates per week I have to download and install to keep me safe from security issues.

The worst thing is that I can't just re-install windows. I HAVE NO DISKS! We buy a computer and we get the software installed and Microsoft forgets we bought their software. If you try to contact Microsoft and get some sort of "Re-install" disk forget about it. Can we find Windows 7 professional on line? No f'in way. Spent the money, eat bleep!

I HATE MICROSOFT! I have no other choice. Yeah, Yeah. I can install Ubuntu, but what about Visual Studio and Microsoft Office? Unfortunately, my clients use these and I have to be compatible.

Thanks for letting me vent. I feel a whole lot better. Time for a beer.

Still searching for the "Read My Mind and Do It" button.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 curtisrfd

curtisrfd

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 06:27 PM

It sounds as if you have an oem copy of windows 7.  Unfortunatly Microsoft dosen't provide a replacement copy  of windows 7(because they want you to  purchase windows 8.) 

This site (http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/f/download-windows-7.htm) does offer a method of getting a free ligitmate copy of  windows.  You will  need a product key, and the  site shows a method of  obtaining the product key of your installed Windows 7.  I hope  this was  helpful. 

If it  isn't, then I  apoligize (sp) in  advance.

#3 Scottintexas

Scottintexas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:40 AM

I'm back! Still fighting a computer. It's like a never ending game. I have now upgraded to Win 10. And my computer still falls asleep every couple of minutes for one or two minutes. But that issue is on another thread. I just wanted to update this in case some one was searching for answers.

There is no answer yet.
Still searching for the "Read My Mind and Do It" button.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:19 AM

It sounds as if you have an oem copy of windows 7.  Unfortunatly Microsoft dosen't provide a replacement copy  of windows 7(because they want you to  purchase windows 8.) 

This site (http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/f/download-windows-7.htm) does offer a method of getting a free ligitmate copy of  windows.  You will  need a product key, and the  site shows a method of  obtaining the product key of your installed Windows 7.  I hope  this was  helpful. 

If it  isn't, then I  apoligize (sp) in  advance.

Microsoft has made allowance for those who have a retail copy of Windows 7 to download a ISO file which can be used to create a installation disc.

Edited by dc3, 16 July 2016 - 09:22 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,515 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:31 AM

Slowness can be caused by several software-related things.  One thing being overlapping [not well-layered] security and/or monitoring software.  I used to have two AVs, two AMs, and several other utilities running concurrently.  Having only one AV existing & active, one AM existing & active has helped some.  Can you give us a quick-list of the security programs existing on your computer?

[One can have more than one AM, Anti-Malware utility running, it might be better speed-wise not to have two AMs running over-lapping, concurrent, real time protection shields.]

Edited by RolandJS, 16 July 2016 - 09:32 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:31 AM

Scottintexas

Please run System File Checker

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png and then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

In the pane above the search box Programs will appear with cmd below it, right click on cmd and select Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt, it will look similar to the image below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

Copy and paste sfc /scannow in the command prompt, then press Enter to start the scan.  

If the scan finds no integrity  problems the scan will stop.  Type in exit, then press Enter to stop the scan.

If integrity issues are found in the scan please post the CBS log.

Click on Computer in the start menu, then click on the following C: - Windows - Logs - CBS.  Copy and paste the log in your topic.  This file may be very large, you may need to break the long into several parts in order to post the entire log.  Since you will be copying and then pasting this you have the hight lighted portion of the log that you copied as a reference point for starting further copys.

After you have done the above, please do the following.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox to your desktop.

Right-click on MiniToolBox.exe and select Run as Administrator.

You will see an image like the one below.

minitoolbox_zps7byuwkla.png

Click on the following checkboxes only:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, then copy it and paste it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,515 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:33 AM

dc3 and I posted at the same time, go with his Speccy recommendations -- that is much more thorough than any quick-list.

Edited by RolandJS, 17 July 2016 - 07:42 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 05:57 AM

- Sounds like a failing Hard Disk to me. But SPECCY is able to pull up the relevant information tomake a judgement about that.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 09:17 AM

- Sounds like a failing Hard Disk to me. But SPECCY is able to pull up the relevant information tomake a judgement about that.

A Speccy Snapshot generally provides information which can help determine if certain problems exist.  But occasionally it throws an error.  An example, looking at the temperatures in the Summary the CPU and graphics temperatures were fairly close, but the temperature of the motherboard was much higher.  I've also seen errors in the S.M.A.R.T. attributes, enough that if I see questionable results I will suggest running GSmartControl to verify the attributes found by Speccy.  Something to bear in mind. 

#10 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:51 PM

@Scottintexas To better assist you, could you create a new thread in Windows 10 forums, and post the link here?

Mod Edit:  Topic moved to W10 Spt forum - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 17 July 2016 - 06:26 PM.

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#11 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 04:36 PM

I'm back! Still fighting a computer. It's like a never ending game. I have now upgraded to Win 10. And my computer still falls asleep every couple of minutes for one or two minutes. But that issue is on another thread. I just wanted to update this in case some one was searching for answers.

There is no answer yet.

You can adjust how long your computer waits to go to sleep.

Open the Settings app
Go to System
Choose Power and Sleep

Adjust it and then test if the problems occur again

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users