Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Links Not Opening From T'Bird (my fault)....

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pots elgoog

pots elgoog

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 05:21 PM

I thought I was being very careful about shutting down many of the unnecessary processes in startup, but after disabling quite a few, now anytime I click a link in an email, it no longer will open a new tab in my browser. I know it's due to one of the processes I disabled but I don't know which one. Anyone have a clue which process is responsible for this? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 05:59 PM

Sounds like your file association have been messed up.

Try running this...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/fixexec/dl/15/

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 pots elgoog

pots elgoog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 06:42 PM

Didn't work. I must say it didn't seem to run more than 0.7 seconds lol, but a popup did say that my exe. files should now work etc. except I still have the same problem. 

I have zero doubt I caused it by disabling one of the processes on startup because I've been using this laptop in my shop for over 6 years and this has never happened, until immediately after I disabled some processes. 

Edited by pots elgoog, 23 March 2015 - 06:42 PM.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:04 PM

did you make a list of what you disabled ?....if so then type the list here.

If there is no list....do a system restore to a time before you disabled the processes.   HERE'S HOW

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 pots elgoog

pots elgoog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:20 AM

I sure am hoping that someone knows what the process which opens url links in a browser window in Vista is called. It would be so simple to just enable that process again. 

#6 pots elgoog

pots elgoog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:32 AM

I should add that the main reason I want to avoid a system restore is that by disabling the processes I did, I was able to actually use this computer again. It was dragging and hanging so much it had become virtually useless. It was even giving the the error that it was out of memory and couldn't open the file etc. so I ran ccleaner and disabled dozens of processes and it's fast as greased lightning again. Well, fast as an olde Toshiba laptop with only 4M RAM can be anyway. 

The only thing that isn't working properly is the problem I have desribed and I'm not going to undo all those disables for that. I spent several hours sitting at my laptop and googling each process on my phone before disabling it and I would rather just right click the links in the emails and manually paste them into a new tab before losing all that ground I gained. I'm just hoping to isolate this one problem for resolution instad of taking a shotgun approach. There has to be someone out there that knows what the process is cald responsible for this. If not, I'll just keep pasting because my computer is running fabulously again aside from this one minor glitrch. 

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:01 PM

• Open the Windows menu. (Start button)
  • Type "default programs" (not including the quotation marks) under Start Search.
  • Click Default Programs under Programs.
  • Now click Set your default programs.
  • Highlight Internet Explorer (or your default browser)under Programs.
  • Click Set this program as default.
  • Now click OK.
  • Close the default programs window.

You may need to follow this process for Thunderbird as well....but i suspect that resetting your browser as default will do the trick.

Edited by Condobloke, 24 March 2015 - 03:03 PM.

#8 pots elgoog

pots elgoog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:02 PM

Bloke, thank you for your suggestion I followed your directions to the T (which were excellent I should add) but it did not work. Should I have rebooted after I did that? Because I didn't. 

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:43 PM

Which email application do you use?

Which browser do you use ?

#10 pots elgoog

pots elgoog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:34 PM

I'm using T'bird 31.5.0 and chrome. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users