Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lan Modem - Constant restarting in periods

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Simply Nick

Simply Nick

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 04:36 PM

It has happened to me the past few months, and I've had support on the phone so many times I've lost count. 

The restarts happen in periods, any time at the day. It can go on and on for an hour or two, then suddenly start working perfectly again. 

What annoys me, is that support has reset the modem several times, and this is even the second modem I've received. I've changed to a new, fresh ethernet cable but not a new antenna connector - The outlet has just been changed, though.

It just restarted as I typed this. Note that I'm not doing anything else but surfing a few pages. No games or other programs but these are running.

3a3b31b7bf3def1201f29622068e61ca.png

My ping, internet speed and everything else is functioning completely fine, except for the constant restarting, which is just did for the second time.

I hope someone can help me out here, because I'm unable to sit here and do anything without constantly getting interrupted.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 04:54 PM

Restarting isn't a word we use concerning internet access.  Which leads me to think your pc is restarting.

Dust in the cpu fan and/or power supply fan?

Does it happen if you come in safe mode with networking?

#3 Simply Nick

Simply Nick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 04:58 PM

Restarting isn't a word we use concerning internet access.  Which leads me to think your pc is restarting.

Dust in the cpu fan and/or power supply fan?

Does it happen if you come in safe mode with networking?

Could be dust. I don't know about safe mode with networking. I'll have to come back to you with that later. Is there anything else I can do while I clean whatever dust is there?

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 05:02 PM

Lets first make sure we are on the same page.  Exactly what do you mean by restarting?  Your pc reboot itself? What OS are you running?

#5 Simply Nick

Simply Nick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 05:12 PM

Lets first make sure we are on the same page.  Exactly what do you mean by restarting?  Your pc reboot itself? What OS are you running?

No. My modem reboots. Not my computer.

W7.

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:50 PM

You actually see it turn itself off and back on again?

Being recently replaced you shouldn't have to worry about dust.

Is your pc also plugged into the same outlet the modem is on?

This modem have a AD to DC converter [plug goes to a little box and then to another cord that plugs into the modem]?

Both plug end and the end that plugs into the modem secure and in if you wiggle each the power doesn't go out on the modem?

#7 JackCheng

JackCheng

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:58 AM

If you can make sure you have the latest firmware for the router; then reset it to factory default settings and reconfigure it.

If it continues to restart it is defective. (I am assuming that the restart is not caused by a loss of power.)

#8 Simply Nick

Simply Nick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2015 - 05:30 PM

You actually see it turn itself off and back on again?

Being recently replaced you shouldn't have to worry about dust.

Is your pc also plugged into the same outlet the modem is on?

This modem have a AD to DC converter [plug goes to a little box and then to another cord that plugs into the modem]?

Both plug end and the end that plugs into the modem secure and in if you wiggle each the power doesn't go out on the modem?

Sorry for late answer, it was fine for 2 weeks.

Yes, I can see it turn on and off.

Extension cord goes to the same outlet. Everything is connected to the extension cord -> speakers, computer, light, modem.

Plug goes from Modem -> Plug -> Outlet Box.

Nothing wiggles.

If you can make sure you have the latest firmware for the router; then reset it to factory default settings and reconfigure it.

If it continues to restart it is defective. (I am assuming that the restart is not caused by a loss of power.)

Support keeps resetting it. I don't want to, because I don't know what I'm doing.

Edited by Simply Nick, 05 April 2015 - 05:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users