Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I remove Administrator status?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 04:07 PM

I have apps which say they cannot open as long as File Explorer is running with Administrator privileges.  Why?   How do I run File Explorer ' without  Administrator privileges? (and how do I reverse that?)  I did it once, in the same situation, but I cannot remember how.

Is File Explorer the same thing as Windows Explorer, under a different name?  Or are they two separate features?  After a search when I click on Windows Explorer what opens is the same as when I click on File Explorer.  Confusing.

clayto.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 04:09 PM

Hi clayto :)

Your situation is confusing me a bit here, File Explorer is pretty much the same thing as Windows Explorer. Can you screenshot the error message you're receiving and post it here? Also, can you tell me which program(s) you're trying to open that displays that message?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:58 PM

HI -----  I cant send a screenshot now because the error has vanished!  It is wonderful what turning the computer off can achieve sometimes.  Just for the record it was a tile which opens a Start page  app called File Manager HD, a File Picker style of File Explorer which I quite like partly because it gives me quick access to some of my Cloud services.  

I have just seen reports that Microsoft has deleted a thousand plus apps from the Store for either being poor quality or even scams.  I use quite a lot of Store apps, probably too many.  It is fairly new to me so I am still exploring.

clayto

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,677 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:06 PM

That's good. If you want I can take a look at the programs you have installed and see if there's any malicious ones.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:37 AM

Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it sometime. For the moment I have confidence in my combinaton of Norton 360 and Malwarebytes which seems to be keeping my Tablet clean.

clayto

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,677 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:45 AM

It's all good no worries :) Have a good day clayto.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users