Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't start after scheduling a disk check

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 computerhelp24

computerhelp24

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 02:13 PM

Computer won't start after scheduling a disk check
Hey

I scheduled a disk check then rebooted my computer and it wouldn't start.

I get this screen
FR8rk1Z.jpg

Then it goes to this screen

98uzv2u.png

It still wouldn't work after I Launch Startup Repair.

Diagnostic and repair details

Problem Signature
Problem Event Name: StartUpRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unkown
Problem Signature 04: 21200839
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 3
Problem Signature 07: CorruptRegistry
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Can anyone help? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 02:29 PM

Hello, and Welcome

Your file system was corrupted and chkdsk did not fix it. Hopefully you can recover by doing a System Restore. Tap F8 at boot and at the Advanced Options Screen select Repair Your Computer.

Go through the steps until you get to the Screen that shows System Restore. Do a System Restore to a date before the problem. Here is a page showing the procedure for Windows 8 (middle of the page)

#3 computerhelp24

computerhelp24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 03:24 PM

Hello, and Welcome

Your file system was corrupted and chkdsk did not fix it. Hopefully you can recover by doing a System Restore. Tap F8 at boot and at the Advanced Options Screen select Repair Your Computer.

Go through the steps until you get to the Screen that shows System Restore. Do a System Restore to a date before the problem. Here is a page showing the procedure for Windows 8 (middle of the page)

It says no restore points has been made. :(

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 03:26 PM

Do you have access to another computer with Windows 7?

Edit: Go throught the same steps as you did to get to the System Restore Windows but this time select Command Prompt. At the Command Prompt Window type the following

CD C:\Windows\system32\config\regback     <enter>

Dir    <enter>

Are the dates listed for the files before your problem occured.

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 March 2015 - 03:38 PM.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 04:01 PM

JohnC, if OP has either OEM or true-blue Windows or rescue DVD [or USB stick], could booting into same and running Startup Repair get OP at least into Windows in order to do a current backup of data files? 

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 computerhelp24

computerhelp24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 04:26 PM

Do you have access to another computer with Windows 7?

Edit: Go throught the same steps as you did to get to the System Restore Windows but this time select Command Prompt. At the Command Prompt Window type the following

CD C:\Windows\system32\config\regback     <enter>

Dir    <enter>

Are the dates listed for the files before your problem occured.

There is a lot of 2009 dates and two March 23 dates, but my computer stopped working yesterday morning. I used CCleaner yesterday , maybe that's what caused the problem. But I didn't use the registry cleaner. 

Edited by computerhelp24, 23 March 2015 - 04:27 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 04:38 PM

The regback folder should have registry hives (5) with dates that hopefully are a week old. I do not understand why they would be dated 2009. The regback folder has backups of the registry hives that are regularly backed up by Windows. Can you post the output of the DIR command. When you typed the DIR command was the prompt showing C:\Windows\System32\config\regback?  Do you have access to another Windwos 7 computer?

@RolandJS, the OP tried a Startup Repair but it failed. If computerhelp24 has a Windows 7 computer we can create a WinPE disk and boot that or use a linux distro if we need to get the data back. We can also create a System Repair Disk and see if a Startup Repair will work but according to the first post he has registry corruption after chkdks. Not sure if a Startup Repair would fix registry corruption.

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 March 2015 - 04:44 PM.

#8 computerhelp24

computerhelp24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 05:48 PM

The regback folder should have registry hives (5) with dates that hopefully are a week old. I do not understand why they would be dated 2009. The regback folder has backups of the registry hives that are regularly backed up by Windows. Can you post the output of the DIR command. When you typed the DIR command was the prompt showing C:\Windows\System32\config\regback?  Do you have access to another Windwos 7 computer?

@RolandJS, the OP tried a Startup Repair but it failed. If computerhelp24 has a Windows 7 computer we can create a WinPE disk and boot that or use a linux distro if we need to get the data back. We can also create a System Repair Disk and see if a Startup Repair will work but according to the first post he has registry corruption after chkdks. Not sure if a Startup Repair would fix registry corruption.

2rLJC5R.jpg

O9zilXF.jpg

3zk4trN.jpg

7lgC69L.jpg

BN94Xv2.jpg

fvWk7Mj.jpg

PW4Yrz9.jpg

JpSGOLV.jpg

gS3pMvA.jpg

6NQGaJJ.jpg

uexh6Mc.jpg

tcQ45i5.jpg

#9 computerhelp24

computerhelp24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 06:04 PM

This is the only windows 7 computer that I have. 

This computer started giving me problems a few months ago. Some files became corrupted and I couldn't delete them, some shortcuts turned into the windows default icon  and the computer would randomly freeze. Someone told me to run a disk check and it corrected most of those problems. Sometimes it would freeze but only for a little awhile. I ran another disk check in mid-February and my computer ran perfectly until yesterday when I used ccleaner. It started freezing so I scheduled a disk check and rebooted my computer, but the disk check never happened. It went straight to "starting windows" then the "windows recovery error" page showed up. 

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 06:13 PM

I see where I made my mistake. When you open the command prompt window type:

C:    <enter>

Your prompt should show C:\

Now type

CD C:\Windows\system32\config\regback   <enter>
Dir   <enter>

You should see 5 registry Hives. What is the date listed for them?

What device are you posting from now? Is it Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 8?

#11 computerhelp24

computerhelp24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 06:31 PM

BCh3FHu.jpg

No dates were listed. Maybe I'm typing it wrong?

I'm using my friends windows 8 computer. 

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 06:41 PM

I think I know what is going on. Your System Reserved Partition is labeled as C:

Type the following at the command prompt:

Diskpart  <enter>
list disk   <enter>
select disk X   <enter>  where X is your hard drive, probably 0
list volume   <enter>

Post the results.  Do you need any data on the computer and is the comptuer an OEM like HP or Toshiba?

#13 computerhelp24

computerhelp24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:11 PM

jzfE9eY.jpg

h2VnGTz.jpg

YJP3x9b.jpg

ZMcVGbj.jpg

I think I know what is going on. Your System Reserved Partition is labeled as C:

Type the following at the command prompt:

Diskpart  <enter>
list disk   <enter>
select disk X   <enter>  where X is your hard drive, probably 0
list volume   <enter>

Post the results.  Do you need any data on the computer and is the comptuer an OEM like HP or Toshiba?

yeah, I have a few documents that I need. Its a gateway SX2840.

#14 computerhelp24

computerhelp24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:20 PM

To retrieve data from the hard drive would I need to buy one of these Sata Hard Drive docking stations? 

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Asata%20hard%20drive%20docking%20station

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:30 PM

It looks like you could do a factory reset after retrieving your data. You Windows partition is labled as D:

Where I showed C: in the above commands use D:

At the command prompt type:

D:  <enter>
CD D:\windows\system32\config\regback   <enter>
Dir   <enter>

What is the date listed for the Registry hives in regback?

We can create a bootable disk on your friends computer and use that to copy files to an external drive or USB flash drive. That would be the cheapest way of doing it and you could get your data today if your friend would let you create the bootable disk or flash drive on his computer? You can use Aoemi PE builder. This would work on your computer even though built on Windows 8. Your friend could even use it on his computer if his no longer booted so it could give him access to his files. You can use Explorer to browse your disk and retrieve your data. Once the data is retrieved you could do a factory reset to bring it back. We can also use this bootable disk or USB flash drive to copy the registry hives in regback to your config folder if the date you find using the above commands show a date before the problem which I believe it will.

You could also use the device you linked to or an adapter like this one. Below is an image of the Aoemi Desktop.

Desktop.png

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 March 2015 - 07:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users