Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

<800 PC Build for Adobe video editing/converting/DSLR Filmmaking

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kagan89

kagan89

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 11:41 AM

Hi there,

After much research, I have finalised a prospective PC build. 
The things I will be doing on this PC are; converting old VHS tapes/minI DV to DVD, bulk home-movie editing, wedding videography, DSLR film making and graphic design. I will mainly be using Premiere Pro, Photoshop and After Effects. Aside from the obvious storage demandsicon1.png, I hope to achieve decent render times and a smooth editing workflow (minimal dropped frames when previewing effects-laden video). Below is my prospective build. (BUDGET <£800)

CPU - AMD FX 8350 AM3+ = £125.99

MOTHERBOARD - ASUS M5A97 EVO 970 = £70

GRAPHICS CARD - ASUS GTX 760 GDDR5 = £168.80

HARD DRIVE - WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB 3.5inch CAVIAR BLUE (x2) = £42.97 (x2)

SOLID STATE HARD DRIVE - SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB = £80.98

PSU - CORSAIR CXM 600W MODULAR 80 = £60

RAM - HYPERX FURY CL10 16GB = £99.95

OPTICAL DRIVE - SAMSUNG 24X RETAIL SATA DVD WRITER = £12.99

CASE - ??

COOLER - COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO = £24.99

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (120mm): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

TOTAL APPROX £730.

I simply cannot find a straight answer on whether to go for an AMD or Intel processor.

I have gone for an SSD for my OS and programs, and 2 HDD (one for input, one for output). This build, I hope, will give me a good combination of storageicon1.png and speed (the card will support mercury playback engine).

Any advice, tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:13 PM

Hi there,

After much research, I have finalised a prospective PC build. 
The things I will be doing on this PC are; converting old VHS tapes/minI DV to DVD, bulk home-movie editing, wedding videography, DSLR film making and graphic design. I will mainly be using Premiere Pro, Photoshop and After Effects. Aside from the obvious storage demandsicon1.png, I hope to achieve decent render times and a smooth editing workflow (minimal dropped frames when previewing effects-laden video). Below is my prospective build. (BUDGET <£800)

CPU - AMD FX 8350 AM3+ = £125.99

MOTHERBOARD - ASUS M5A97 EVO 970 = £70

GRAPHICS CARD - ASUS GTX 760 GDDR5 = £168.80

HARD DRIVE - WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB 3.5inch CAVIAR BLUE (x2) = £42.97 (x2)

SOLID STATE HARD DRIVE - SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB = £80.98

PSU - CORSAIR CXM 600W MODULAR 80 = £60

RAM - HYPERX FURY CL10 16GB = £99.95

OPTICAL DRIVE - SAMSUNG 24X RETAIL SATA DVD WRITER = £12.99

CASE - ??

COOLER - COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO = £24.99

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (120mm): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

TOTAL APPROX £730.

I simply cannot find a straight answer on whether to go for an AMD or Intel processor.

I have gone for an SSD for my OS and programs, and 2 HDD (one for input, one for output). This build, I hope, will give me a good combination of storageicon1.png and speed (the card will support mercury playback engine).

Any advice, tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Kagan,

If you are going to be doing some heavy video editing, graphic designing and other computer extensive work, the AMD setup may work, but I highly recommend getting the Intel computer build that I am suggesting.

With this computer build, you will get a fast quad core i5 processor that can be overclocked if needed. The motherboard that I picked out will accept an Intel i7 4790k processor in the future if the need arises. I put in 16 GB of system RAM to accommodate the programs that you will be using.

Lastly, I picked out the GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card for it's performance and ability to render video and graphics quickly.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£172.50 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£25.31 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£89.99 @ Novatech)
Memory: Corsair 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£95.22 @ More Computers)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£80.95 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£55.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (£108.96 @ Amazon UK)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£35.99 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (£79.99 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer  (£13.15 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £758.05
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-24 02:05 GMT+0000

#3 kagan89

kagan89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:25 AM

Serpius, thanks for your response, really helpful! Will the build you suggest be faster than my initial build specs out of the box, bearing in mind I don't intend to overclock the processor? The reason I ask that I need the most effective build NOW, as opposed to a slower build with more update potential in the future.

Also, I notice you suggest the 750ti card. Is this not a much weaker card than the 760, do you suggest this one for budget reasons. Basically, will I get better results with the i5 and the 750ti, than with the AMD and the 760?

Finally, it has been suggested to me that i would be well-served to opt for two SSD and one HDD. One SSD for OS and Adobe apps, one SSD for my cache files, and one HDD for storage. Would you go along with that?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!

#4 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:48 AM

Serpius, thanks for your response, really helpful! Will the build you suggest be faster than my initial build specs out of the box, bearing in mind I don't intend to overclock the processor? The reason I ask that I need the most effective build NOW, as opposed to a slower build with more update potential in the future.

Also, I notice you suggest the 750ti card. Is this not a much weaker card than the 760, do you suggest this one for budget reasons. Basically, will I get better results with the i5 and the 750ti, than with the AMD and the 760?

Finally, it has been suggested to me that i would be well-served to opt for two SSD and one HDD. One SSD for OS and Adobe apps, one SSD for my cache files, and one HDD for storage. Would you go along with that?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!

Kagan,

The build that I suggested will be very effective now. There are a lot of upgrade potential with this build, including the i7 processor upgrade that I mentioned in the previous post.

As for the graphic card, Performance-wise, there isn't that big of increase in terms of speed... however, the big difference is the amount of VRAM. The GTX 750ti maxes out at 2 GB, whereas the GTX 760 maxes out at 4 GB. 

For me... it's a toss-up. However, when I did your computer build, the GTX 760 would have blown the 800 UK pound budget out of the water. Hence, my reason to recommend the GTX 750ti. If you are able to handle the extra 100 UK pounds for the GTX 760, by all means go for it!

My preference for the SSD and HDD combo is this... SSD as your boot up drive, then have 2 - HDDs as your daily storage for the important stuff.

Again, if you are able to swing it... you can just get another Western Digital Black Series 1 TB HDD and you should be good to go! 

#5 kagan89

kagan89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 12:57 PM

Thanks again Serpius, probably going to go for the i5. Just to be sure, I was given a quote from an online refurb company for the following specs:

2x Hex core x5650 pprocessors

36 gb RAM

1tb HDD

Quadro FX 4600
Windows 7 Pro

Total £650 inc. VAT

What do you make of that?

Thanks, Kagan

That is the exact quote they sent me, they didn't specify brands

#6 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:08 PM

Thanks again Serpius, probably going to go for the i5. Just to be sure, I was given a quote from an online refurb company for the following specs:

2x Hex core x5650 pprocessors

36 gb RAM

1tb HDD

Quadro FX 4600
Windows 7 Pro

Total £650 inc. VAT

What do you make of that?

Thanks, Kagan

That is the exact quote they sent me, they didn't specify brands

Kagan,

I will say this much...

If you go to an i7 4790k processor,  I will guarantee you that the i7 will beat 2 hex core AMD processors. That goes to show you how powerful that processor is.

Just saying that in the LONG run, you will benefit more from an Intel computer build that you would from an AMD build. You will not regret going with an Intel build that you need for your purposes.

Oh, that Quadro FX 4600?? For that build the company suggested, they have to use a very low end VRAM... probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 768 MB... no... that's not a typo! Yes... 768 MB VRAM. That will FAIL for your purposes, big time!

Edited by Serpius, 24 March 2015 - 01:15 PM.

#7 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:17 AM

X5650s are Intel CPUs. Go for it. I have those exact CPUs and it is comparable, if not better, than most I7s.

Sorry if I snap at you. I can't stand stupid for more than 5 minutes at a time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users