Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not pinning shortcut to Windows Explorer

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 athegn

athegn

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:27 AM

I want to see a number of Window explorer icons on my taskbar opening the folders I regularly use. However when I create a shortcut on my desktop it will not let me. It will only let "pin to Windows Explorer" not what i want.

I find it very easy to just see the few icons I want on the task bar and click those. I do not want to go through more menus to open Windows explorer where I want.

Is this possible please?

Edited by athegn, 23 March 2015 - 07:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:34 AM

What folders do you want to pin to the taskbar?

#3 athegn

athegn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:38 AM

For a start:-

F:\User

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:45 AM

Follow the directions here http://www.7tutorials.com/how-pin-any-folder-windows-7-taskbar

I found this several years ago when I wanted to pin a documents folder to my taskbar. This adds Pin to taskbar to the context menu of whatever you want to pin. Simple procedure that does not take long to do.

Make sure you leave the space which is mentioned or it will not work.

This does work for those items which have no option to pin to taskbar.

If you do this and have any problems post back. Also post back if it works for you.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 23 March 2015 - 07:45 AM.

#5 athegn

athegn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:49 AM

Thank you but that is the instructions I followed which only allows "Pin to Windows Explorer"

Having created the shortcut on the desktop right click does not mention pin to anything. Drag to Taskbar just brings up the "Pin to Windows Explorer"

Any more advice please?

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:54 AM

As far as I know, it's not possible to pin individual folders to the taskbar. What will happen is that the Windows Explorer will get pinned, but if you right-click on it, you'll have a list of "Frequently used" folders, and if you go on their right, you'll have the option to pin them so they'll show at the top. Example (in French sorry):

9KfXjsl.png

You can also delete the folders showing in the "Frequently used" list. I think it's possible to do what you want to achieve, but by using a custom taskbar, like I do here:

vNVitIn.png

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:11 AM

That always works for me. I have pinned a text document folder, a single picture, my media player and other things using this method.

As a test I decided to pin my user folder (which is in C) to the taskbar. I also tried it with Users (for all users) and it worked.

New shortcut.
n6Mom4K.png

6nVzs5o.png

Qdd6N8a.png

RbmRCTY.png

Edited by Queen-Evie, 23 March 2015 - 08:49 AM.

#8 athegn

athegn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:14 AM

This is what I get when I right click on shortcut:-

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/mp77vu0eiszx9s0/AADUUC1ou3FZ8IH1DNfk_vZ6a

No mention of Pin to Taskbar

Note although I mention "User" this is not my C:\Windows\users folder but a folder on a separate hard disk I use for my data:-

F:\User

Edited by athegn, 23 March 2015 - 10:16 AM.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:24 AM

The C:\windows\users folder doesn't exist, it's C:\Users. What happens if you go on your Users folder on your D: drive, right-click on it and select Send to... then Desktop (shortcut)? Do you have the Pin to taskbar option on that created shortcut?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 11:16 AM

There is an alternative method that might work.

Create the shortcut on your desktop using the normal method-right click Send to/Desktop.

Next right click the folder on the desktop, choose Properties/Shortcut tab.

Add explorer as directed in the article I linked to.

If the path is bracketed by " " explorer should be before the first "
explorer "file path"

edit to add:
somehow the code got stripped out of my post when I posted it.

Give me a minute to do it again.

This is the location before adding explorer

"F:\Laptop Back Up 8.28.2014\Users\Users"

After adding explorer

C:\Windows\explorer.exe "F:\Laptop Back Up 8.28.2014\Users\Users"

Of course yours will say something different but the principle is the same. The important part is C:\Windows\explorer.exe

The other obvious difference is that it won't open if I don't have my external drive hooked up, but as I said this was for testing purposes only.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 23 March 2015 - 11:32 AM.

#11 athegn

athegn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 01:54 PM

I am sorry but just re-read the instructions and saw that I needed to add the word explorer and a space before F:\User not just browse and select F:\User. Shortcut >Properties >Target is now:-

C:\Windows\explorer.exe F:\User not just F:\User

Having created this shortcut I can pin this to taskbar.

Thank you all for your time.

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 01:56 PM

I'm glad you got it sorted out.

The space is the most important part of the directions.

Now that you have it figured out you can use it to pin anything that does not give that option in the context menu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users