Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Speakers from USA to use overseas

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cornflakes2

cornflakes2

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 04:32 AM

Hey guys, I have the Logitech Z-680 5.1 speakers (great set), but I want to use it overseas where they use 220V instead of

ours of 110V.

My question is what kind of power inverter do I need?  Are they all the same or different?  I saw some that said 200W and 400W

etc and the price goes up and up the higher the Watt of the inverter.   My speakers say they are 500W RMS.....not sure then if

I can use a power inverter rated at 150W or 200W or would that not be enough power draw for my speakers?

Does that mean I have to keep my speakers on low volume to not use more than 200 watts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 05:01 AM

Get a new set of speakers when you get there.  If you're going to be there a short time it isn't worth expense.  If you're staying you're better off having devices that are 220/110.

Electronics are sensitive to supply power and if you go cheap on a device to convert the power you could damage the speakers.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 05:57 AM

Note all my power supplies have a 110/220 switch, the boards and peripherals operate on the same voltage so the can be sold world wide.  IMO the voltage supplied to the speakers will be the same anywhere in the world.

Now if these are externally powered then just buy a step down transformer, there are many out there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=220+volt+to+110+transformer&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Edited by OldPhil, 23 March 2015 - 06:43 AM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:47 AM

thanks kindly for the replies.  Yes, I will be there a long time and these are great speakers.  So my logitech z-680 is rated at 505 RMS watts ....so would buying a 1000 watt step-down transformer be enough wattage to power the speakers or should i go with 2000 watt step-down transformer?

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 12:44 PM

Could not resist poking around about your problem, I got to thinking about where you were going power wise.  Besides the power drop you need to know if they will function properly at 50hz, IMO contact Logitech with this issue.  On one blog they said the AC power consumption is 80 watts, I think that is closer to being realistic than 1000/2000.

Over the years I ran some pretty radical stereo equipment none of which due such high current.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:53 PM

In any standard hi-fi system you are not powering the speakers, you are powering the amplifier with the mains power. The amplifier(s) may of course be built into the speakers. Speakers are normally rated in terms of Watts RMS (Root Mean Square) and the rated figure is the maximum they are designed to take at any moment.

500W RMS is approximately equal to 300W steady state so a step-down transformer rated at 500W would be more than enough for the job. Further, amplifiers run on DC which is rectified and smoothed from their AC supply - in the case of audio amplifiers, very heavily smoothed !  So the difference in phase between 220V 50Hz and 110V at 60HZ is not important for your amplifiers. Where it might make a slight difference is in the way the internal transforming circuit transformers heat up, but unless you plan on running these speakers at Max. all the time there should be no problem.

To sum up, if you want to take these speakers with you AND they are not fitted with an AC voltage change-over switch, then you will be perfectly fine with a dropper transformer rated at 500W/220V - make sure it is properly earthed.

One final point. If you are coming to Europe they mostly use a round two or three pin plug very similar to the US model but I believe the dimensions are slightly different, it would be worth checking. Of course, if you are coming to the UK - we use a completely different design of three pin plug, which I believe is used nowhere else in the World !  At least we now use only one design of our three pin plug, we used to have several different sizes - none of which were inter-changeable !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#7 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:40 AM

Thanks Chris and everyone else for the helpful replies!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users