Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer using 80 - 95% ram over time

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Exasmic

Exasmic

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 02:00 AM

So this has been happening for a while. When I boot up my computer, everything runs fine. My ram usage is also fine, at a bout 15%, then goes to 30% when I launch chrome and other things, which is also normal. Over a few hours, running the same programs it'll go up to 40-50% ram usage, and after a day, the ram usage will go to 70 - 80%. Eventually, it goes to 90% and my computer will have a BSOD. I've trying registry defrags and such, cleaning out my computer, checking for viruses, to no avail. I think my cache is not being cleared properly or my ram is just broken. I don't really know what to do at this point, any help is greatly appreciated.

I have 16GB of ram.

Edited by Exasmic, 23 March 2015 - 02:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 02:14 AM

- How much RAM do you have ? And what's the size of your harddisk ?

- Install PcWinTech's Cleanmem. It reduces memory usage every 15 minutes. And make it collapse the file cache as well. To see how this program reduces memory usage, open "Resource Monitor" (memory tab) to see how the different parts of the memory behave.

Edited by Willy22, 23 March 2015 - 02:20 AM.

#3 Exasmic

Exasmic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 02:19 AM

I have 16GB of ram, which Is why it's so strange. My hard disk has 500 GB of space, with another 3 of the same size.

I've installed the cleanmem program, we'll see how it goes. There's no 'collapse file cache' option, just clean cache, I assume that is what you're referring to.

Resource monitor: http://i.imgur.com/pO4PbgN.png

Edited by Exasmic, 23 March 2015 - 02:35 AM.

#4 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 02:31 AM

- Indeed. Strange. But Chrome is known to be using LOTS of memory over time.

- Did you set the size of the pagefile to a fixed size ? Did you disable the pagefile ? If so, then let Windows manage the size of the pagefile.

- Did you install any programs in the last months that could have caused this behaviour ?

- (Disable Cleanmem). Open Task Manager and see if there's a program that uses LOTS of memory. Compare what Task Manager says with what Resource Monitor reports on memory usage.

Yes, that's the one.

Edited by Willy22, 23 March 2015 - 02:37 AM.

#5 Exasmic

Exasmic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 02:38 AM

This is how my task manager processes look like right now. http://i.imgur.com/GyatOHn.png

Not sure what a pagefile is. 
Not sure of any program.

I'll copy over my edit from my last post:

I've installed the cleanmem program, we'll see how it goes. There's no 'collapse file cache' option, just clean cache, I assume that is what you're referring to.

Resource monitor: http://i.imgur.com/pO4PbgN.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users