Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re-directed from Grooveshark and something was downloaded onto my computer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 whereangelsplay

whereangelsplay

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 12:51 AM

Hi everyone!

So, I have a (potential) problem. A couple of hours ago I had a few tabs open in Google Chrome, one of which was Grooveshark (a music-streaming website I often use). I had a few songs playing and went to the bathroom to shave. When I came back a few minutes later, the music had stopped and the page had been re-directed. There was a red logo in the top left-hand corner (that I think was made to resemble that of Adobe) and from what I remember the page was suggesting that something needed to be downloaded/updating (foolishly, I instinctively closed the window straight away as I feared something dodgy was up. If I'd been thinking straight, I would've written down what was on my screen as that would have been more helpful!). What's more, there was a tab at the bottom of the page apparently showing that two things had been downloaded already (one of which I'm pretty sure was 'set up', and I think the other was something ending in'.exe.', but I'm not totally sure about that.

To be honest, I'm a real technophobe, but I've been using PC laptops long enough to know when something's abnormal, and that certainly was. Pages shouldn't automatically re-direct like that (I've used Grooveshark for years and it's never happened to me before on there), and things shouldn't be automatically downloaded without your permission. Also, the fact it resembled an Adobe update page, but clearly wasn't, is very fishy. I've run a 'full system' and 'smart scan' check with my free Avast anti-virus program, but nothing showed up. I'd be really grateful if you could help me out with this and make sure nothing bad has happened to my computer.

Thanks very much for reading, and I look forward to hearing from you!

whereangelsplay 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JuliaGulia

JuliaGulia

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 11:00 AM

Hi whereangelsplay,

I'm writing from the Grooveshark support team and we're very sorry for your experience. If you email support@grooveshark.com, we'll give you a free month of VIP while we help you look into the issue. 

- Julia

#3 whereangelsplay

whereangelsplay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:44 AM

Hi again everyone,

Another weird thing has happened with my laptop today. When I try to access Youtube, it goes to some weird site (AllergyBuyersClub). Weirdly, it still says 'www.youtube.com' at the top, though. I've tried it a few times and it's gone to the same page every time. I've also tried accessing specific Youtube clips via Google, but the same thing happens. I'd be grateful for your input. Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users