Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

tower or tablet/laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ironjack

ironjack

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 22 March 2015 - 07:44 PM

I'm torn between the them.I must update my stuff.It's XP Pro.I don't do graphics. Watch a how to video,

every once in a while.Music is good!Like to have access to stuff and connect in one central place.Then wi-fi away.What would you do?  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:22 AM

Something like a Surface or Lenovo YOGA sounds like it'd be good for your usage.

Sorry if I snap at you. I can't stand stupid for more than 5 minutes at a time.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,904 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 06:39 PM

Desktops aren't portable; laptops are reasonably portable; tablets are highly portable.

Desktops can have as much memory in them as you want; laptops mostly top-out at 1 TB; tablets typically have between 16 and 64 GB storage total

Desktops can have as big a screen as you can afford; laptops range between 13 and 17 inches diagonal; tablets go up to about 11 inches diagonal.

You can take photos and video with nearly all tablets, you can't with the other two.

You can connect almost anything you want to a desktop or a laptop, tablets are often more restricted, especially iPads.

At the end of the day it comes down to what your priorities are. I want the data capacity and the sheer grunt of a desktop but I an an intensive user of a Kindle for reading on. My wife who has a pretty good laptop has fallen in love with her tablet, a Kindle Fire - somebody introduced her to Candy Crush.

Probably the best thing for you to do is to go and annoy your friends who have laptops and / or tablets and get some feel for them. I can see the advantages of a tablet if you can put up with the low data capacity and the smaller screen. If you prefer a larger screen then it will need to be a laptop of some variety. I suspect from what you have said that one of these will meet your needs.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:25 PM

You don't mention how much you are willing to spend.

I look at tablets as consumption devices.  You use them to read books, not write books.

I'm not a fan of laptops.  Laptops will cost more money than a similarly configured desktop.

Desktops are what I recommend unless you need portable.  You can get more computer for less money and you, generally, have more upgrade options.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users