Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My zip drive says I need to format it

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Charlie123

Charlie123

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 22 March 2015 - 07:02 PM

It has several GB of data on it. When I plug it into a Windows 7 or 8 computer it says I can't use it until I format. It appears it is still useable but not recognizing the data on it. Any fix? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 22 March 2015 - 07:44 PM

Check for errors either with Chkdsk command or from its properties sheet.

Posted Image

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,737 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 22 March 2015 - 07:52 PM

DO NOT format it until you have exhausted all possibilities - this will definitely put your data beyond recovery !

If you ignore the format request - ie select 'No' or 'Not now' - can you see anything on this drive ?

One possibility might be to create a light weight Linux self booting CD and try to see if you can 'mount' the drive in that. There are any number of these but I can reccomend Puppy if only because I have a copy which has worked for me in data recovery situations. You can download it from here and you will find instructions on how to make and use the CD. Rest assured it runs entirely in RAM and will not turn your computer into a Linux box !

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users