Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive replacement

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Negotron

Negotron

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 22 March 2015 - 03:21 PM

I bought a new hard drive but I been wondering if I'm going to be able to install windows 7 on it since my system came with it pre-installed. I'm going to remove my current drive and replace it with a new one and I made recovery discs with the system I have now but under notes this is what I read "If you restore the system from DVD to the original hard disk without any re-configuration, the hidden partition will be retained. If you recover on a brand new hard disk instead of the old one, the Gateway Recovery Management partition will no longer exist. The backup discs created by Gateway Recovery Management will work better with the optical drive that came with your machine. They may not work as well in other optical drive".

So im worried that when I do this something will not work and im not sure what I should do in this case.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 03:26 PM

If your current HD is Ok just in need of replacement I would clone it onto the new one, that will be you easiest path.  That being said if you have a valid COA sticker you can down load a new copy of 7.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Negotron

Negotron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 03:33 PM

It has to be valid I guess but I went to the Microsoft site to try and download windows 7 iso and after putting in the key from the COA sticker it said it was pre installed and to contact gateway in this case.

If your current HD is Ok just in need of replacement I would clone it onto the new one, that will be you easiest path.  That being said if you have a valid COA sticker you can down load a new copy of 7.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 03:48 PM

Then I would clone the old to the new, doing that will allow you to use your recovery software should the need arise.

Macrium free will do the job.   http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Edited by OldPhil, 22 March 2015 - 03:51 PM.

#5 Negotron

Negotron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 03:57 PM

Well my problem is that im not sure the current hard drive is okay I know its about to fail at any moment.

Here is a link to give u an idea of the problems. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/569579/logged-in-with-a-temporary-profile-windows-7/#entry3649599

Then I would clone the old to the new, doing that will allow you to use your recovery software should the need arise.

Macrium free will do the job.   http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 04:11 PM

If you can get it up and running I would try the recovery software you made, you don't have much to lose.  If it does help do the clone then run it on the new drive you may come out Ok.

#7 Negotron

Negotron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 04:23 PM

If you can get it up and running I would try the recovery software you made, you don't have much to lose.  If it does help do the clone then run it on the new drive you may come out Ok.

Yeah that seems to be the route to go ill give it a shot thanks. I do have one question though since its the first time I clone a hard drive, Macrium free will do a imaging of what exactly? I see that it will not backup files and folders which is okay but what exactly is a fast imaging? Would that have windows 7 on it so that if I have to use will it work?

#8 illestrate

illestrate

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:30 PM

It'll create an exact copy (image) of that drive assuming the new drive has enough space.  So it's essentially becoming exactly like your old drive with the data but new hardware.  You would need another computer to clone the drive, I don't think it can clone a Running OS someone verify this with me plz.  So after cloning/imaging with the appropriate software, once it finishes hook the new drive up, and if it works voila should be like old or new if I should say  :lmao:

Alternative Method through Windows

http://www.pagestart.com/win7bckuprstrnhd072610.html

Edited by illestrate, 24 March 2015 - 10:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users