Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 broadhat

broadhat

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 22 March 2015 - 03:19 PM

Hi

I moved my computer from a desk to a different position, all went smoothly and gently however when I restarted it the mouse didn't work and was accompanied by a 'USB device has malfunctioned' error message.  I put the mouse into a USB on the front instead and it worked.  I then found the keyboard wasn't responding either so moved that to the front USBs as well - both now worked.

The computer was unresponsive so I switched it off but when it started up it went to the BSOD which flashed up way too fast to read before being replaced by a Windows Error Recovery which gives the options of Launch Startup Repair or Start Normally.  I went with Launch Startup Repair.  This tells me it can't repair it automatically and gives the details of:

The Windows Repair Problem Signature
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 1: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 2: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 3: Unknown
Problem Signature 4: 21199352

Problem Signature 5: AutoFailover

Problem Signature 6: 6
Problem Signature 7: BadDriver
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

What I've tried so far:

Disabled autorestart to see the BSOD, just says runs Chkdsk

Starting in Safe mode - goes straight to BSOD

Run chkdsk from the command prompt.  (It started in X: so I changed to C: which is my bootable) - 'Windows has checked the file system and found no problems'.  I then changed back to X: but 'Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected'.

I've seen other threads that have managed to recover from this type of error eventually but is it less painful to just reinstall windows?  There's no data on C: that I'm worried about - it's a 128GB SSD and all my important stuff is on other drives.

If reinstalling is the simplest way, how do I go about it?  I have the product key (probably!) or could upgrade to Windows 8.

Many thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 22 March 2015 - 03:40 PM

Hello, and Welcome Have you tried doing a System Restore using your Windows 7 install disk?

#3 broadhat

broadhat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 03:50 PM

Hi JohnC_21 - I don't have an install disk...   I had Windows 7 installed on another computer and had the product key so asked MS if I could reuse it and they said yes so I downloaded an image and used that to install it.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,688 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 04:00 PM

If you have another Windows 7 computer available create a System Repair Disk. With that you can do a System Restore if you have Restore Points.

#5 broadhat

broadhat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 04:06 PM

I do have another Windows 7 computer - I'll go and give that a shot.  Thank you.

#6 Victoria-Joe

Victoria-Joe

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 02:15 AM

After getting this error, I reinstalled windows but nothing happens. Open the command prompts and enter the command bootrec /fixmbr followed by bootrec /fixboot. And this had solved my problem.

#7 broadhat

broadhat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 05:06 AM

I created a System Repair disk from another Windows 7 computer and ran it.

The first screen gives me the option of using tools to fix Windows and tells me to select an OS to repair.  None are listed in the box.

It then says 'If your OS isn't listed, click Load Drivers and then install drivers for your hard disk'.

However the disk the OS is installed onto is a driverless SSD - at least it says that it has driverless installation and searches for drivers hasn't come up with anything.

Any suggestions?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,688 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:39 AM

When you launch startup repair from the disk does it also say the repair cannot be done manually? If it does not then it may take up to 3 tries to do a full repair.

If the above does not work then open a command prompt with the repair disk and type the following

Diskpart

List Disk

Select Disk X       Where X is your SSD drive

List Partition        Post the Results.

List Volume          Post  the Results

Exit

Do you have your Windows 7 key? There is a way to retrieve it from an unbootable system but you would need to attach the SSD to another computer or boot a linux/WindowsPE disk to copy a file to a USB flash drive.

#9 broadhat

broadhat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:11 AM

Hi - answers inline below:

When you launch startup repair from the disk does it also say the repair cannot be done manually? If it does not then it may take up to 3 tries to do a full repair.

- It doesn't mention it at all.

If the above does not work then open a command prompt with the repair disk and type the following

Diskpart

List Disk

Select Disk X       Where X is your SSD drive

List Partition        Post the Results.

Partition ### --- Type --- Size --- Offset 

Partition 1 --- Primary --- 100 MB --- 1024KB

Partition 2 --- Primary --- 119GB --- 101 MB

List Volume         

Volume ### --- Ltr --- Label --- Fs --- Type --- Size --- Status --- Info

Volume 0 --- J   --- Repair disc --- UDF --- DVD-ROM --- 171 MB --- Healthy ---

Volume 1 --- C --- System Rese --- NTFS --- Partition --- 100 MB --- Healthy ---

Volume 2 --- F --- <no label>  --- NTFS --- Partition --- 119 GBB --- Healthy ---

Volume 3 --- D --- 1 TB drive --- NTFS --- Partition --- 931 GB --- Healthy ---

Volume 4 --- E --- SYSTEM RESE --- NTFS --- Partition --- 100 MB --- Healthy ---

Volume 5 --- G --- Parkard Bel --- NTFS --- Partition --- 290 GB --- Healthy ---

Volume 6 --- H --- Data --- NTFS --- Partition --- 291 GB --- Healthy ---

Volume 7 --- I --- PQSERVICE --- NTFS --- Partition --- 14 GB --- Healthy --- Hidden

Post  the Results

Exit

Do you have your Windows 7 key? There is a way to retrieve it from an unbootable system but you would need to attach the SSD to another computer or boot a linux/WindowsPE disk to copy a file to a USB flash drive.

I do have a the Windows 7 key

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,688 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:32 AM

Go to the Diskpart prompt at do the same commands up to list partition. Then type

Select Partition 1

Detail Partition

Post the results.

#11 broadhat

broadhat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:51 AM

Go to the Diskpart prompt at do the same commands up to list partition. Then type

Select Partition 1

Detail Partition

Post the results.

Partition 1

Type: 07

Hidden: No

Active: Yes

Offset in Bytes: 1048576

Volume ### --- Ltr --- Label --- Fs --- Type --- Size --- Status --- Info

*Volume 1 --- C --- System Rese --- NTFS --- Parition --- 100 MB --- Healthy

Thanks, Gareth 

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,688 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:00 AM

Well, the partition is active. I was looking for that.

Open a command prompt and type the following

bootrec.exe /scanos

What is the output?

#13 broadhat

broadhat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:13 AM

Well, the partition is active. I was looking for that.

Open a command prompt and type the following

bootrec.exe /scanos

What is the output?

Successfully scanned Windows installations.

Total identified Windows installations: 2

[1] F:\Windows

[2] G:\Windows

The operation completed sucessfully

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,688 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:30 AM

It seems you have two Windows OS's on two separate disks.

Open another command prompt and type the following. If this does not work then I would reinstall the OS.

CD C:\
Bootrec /FIXBOOT
Bootrec /FIXMBR 
bcdboot F:\Windows /s C:

#15 broadhat

broadhat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:45 AM

Fixed :) Thank you.

One of the drives was the drive from an old computer which had Windows 7 installed on it.  Your point about 2 Windows OSs reminded me about that so I simply unplugged the old drive, forcing it to start from the SSD and it started up.

I have the SSD set to be the first drive checked to speed up the bootup process but it must have been switched around somehow so the computer was trying to boot off an old installation.  I'm not totally clear why because it's C: not F: or G: but right now I'm don't mind not understanding!  

I'll create an image of this installation along with a recovery disk and say a huge thank you to you JohnC_21 - I really appreciate all your patience and help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users