Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen with Cursor on Startup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kales

kales

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 22 March 2015 - 02:26 PM

Hello, I have a Presario CQ56.

We have had this issue before. Several years ago my laptop began having startup issues, where it would get stuck on a black screen with the mouse cursor right after the Windows page. Since it's been over three years, I don't recall exactly what everything we did to fix the problem was, but I know that the problem persisted even after recovering to factory settings with disks. Eventually we gave up and replaced the hard drive and it's worked fine until recently.

Right now, the black screen w/ cursor happens for a maximum of ten seconds before and after the windows screen, but once it's up it runs fine. I know the issue is likely to get worse. If it IS the hard drive, is there a way to test this? Are there any diagnostics we can run to determine a possible cause? Should we nip it in the bud and replace the hard drive right away?

The hard drive that replaced the original was a completely different brand if I recall. I'm curious to know if this problem could be caused over time by the fact the laptop runs hot. It always has, the fans are very loud, and if I remember correctly that is a problem with every Presario CQ56. It wasn't exactly an expensive piece of equipment.

If anyone knows of possible solutions it would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,042 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 22 March 2015 - 02:29 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Does this problem happen in Safe Mode?

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 kales

kales
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 22 March 2015 - 03:11 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/88Yb1y8SwJestS1wz2FhSa8

I have not tested a startup in safe mode. I have restarted my laptop a couple times and the black screen issue has yet to reappear, though it did happen this morning, and the last few mornings upon first startup.

Is it possible this might just be caused by the fact it's an older computer? I am overly cautious this time around because this problem was a hassle last time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users