Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti-keylogging software - Are they necessary?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 22 March 2015 - 01:29 PM

Hello all,

As the title says, are anti-keylogging software (or functionality within security suites) necessary?

Personally I don't think you need one, since keyloggers are part of antimalware (AM) detections (not that there are many *pure* keyloggers nowadays). Keep a solid AM protection and use a password manager with encryption (i.e. LastPass) and you're good.

What do you think?

Regards,
Alex

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 22 March 2015 - 07:34 PM

Well it depends. Obviously, saying that Antimalware can take of keyloggers is kind of assuming that these programs will detect keyloggers on a system, 100% of the time. And we all know that a program with a such detection rate doesn't exist and most likely never will. Hence using an Anti-Keylogging program to protect your keystrokes when you're using your system isn't a completely bad idea. If I had the money to invest in Zemana Anti-Logger or Keyscrambler, I would, but I don't. So in a certain way, yes, using an Anti-Keylogger program can be really worth it. Also, keyloggers don't only target passwords, but pretty much everything you type on your system so these could be compromised too.

Edited by Aura., 22 March 2015 - 07:35 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:48 AM

Not all keyloggers are malicious. Many keylogging, surveillance and monitoring programs can have legitimate uses in contexts where an authorized user, business IT tech or administrator has knowingly installed them. Even a parent may use a keylogging program to record their children's online activities or a suspicious spouse might install one to keep track of their partner. It's the misuse of a keylogger (and similar software tools) that makes it's action malicious rather than the keylogger itself. Thus, security scanners may not detect all types of keylogging programs.

When legitimate keylogging programs are detected by anti-virus or anti-malware scanners, they are typically identifid as a "risk Tool" or "suspicious" due to its functionality, behavior and potential misuse by others. Anti-virus scanners cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert you, automatically remove them or in some cases may just ignore them.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:51 AM

It's the misuse of a keylogger (and similar software tools) that makes it's action malicious rather than the keylogger itself.

On a side note, this is also true and applies for RATs (Remote Administration Tools). These are legitimate programs/software to be used (Teamviewer is a RAT for example), however, since they are widely used for malicious intent (like infecting people's computer and controlling them remotely for your own personal gain), a lot of people will think that these are malicious programs and some Antivirus/Antimalware will flag them as malicious (althought it's rare, since they good, trusted ones are signed).

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:54 AM

Yes many Remote Administration Tools are legitimate.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:41 PM

Hello all,As the title says, are anti-keylogging software (or functionality within security suites) necessary?Personally I don't think you need one, since keyloggers are part of antimalware (AM) detections (not that there are many *pure* keyloggers nowadays). Keep a solid AM protection and use a password manager with encryption (i.e. LastPass) and you're good.What do you think?Regards,Alex

Yes there are *pure* keyloggers, and these are known as hardware keyloggers, and undetectable by anti-keylogging software.

Edited by Crazy Cat, 24 March 2015 - 07:46 PM.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users