Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD 1TB MyPassport RAW data

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 irreality

irreality

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 22 March 2015 - 11:11 AM

So recently my 1TB external drive from WD cannot be recognized by my win 7 laptop and desktop. When ever I plug it in and try to access the files it says Incorrect Parameter or that the drive must be formatted before use.

I've tried accessing the files using a Ubuntu LiveCD and force mount but it says $MFTMIRR cannot be read. 

I've also tried using Testdisk but the problem persists, testdisk claims my bootsector is ok and the backup bootsector is bad. When I write the partition table and reboot nothing has changed.

Using PartedMagic and its file manager did not help either, but it did manage to be able to run a S.M.A.R.T test on my external hdd.

Using data recovery software like GetDataBack and Recuva is taking forever.

I want to recover all my files on my drive and possibly fix the hdd, can anyone help me?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 22 March 2015 - 02:33 PM

Hello, and Welcome

$MFTMIRR is your Master File Table (MFT) backup. If Ubuntu failed to read that then I would assume it tried to read the MFT first and failed. If both are damaged then the only way to recover your files is with GetDataBack. Easeus Data Recovery is another. For the 1TB drive it will take some time.

If you get your files back then we can look at using Testdisk to possible rebuild the Boot Sector and hopefully fix the MFT but your top priority should be getting your files. If Testdisk cannot repair the drive you can reformat it and then check it with disk diagnostics.

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 March 2015 - 02:34 PM.

#3 irreality

irreality
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 05:45 PM

Will chkdsk help rebuild the MFT or is my drive beyond repair? The S.M.A.R.T Test result txt says its pre-failure. I've tried to run chkdsk on the external drive but haven't finish a complete chkdsk due to a power outage in the middle of one. I wonder if fixing the bad sectors and MFT will make GetDataBack run faster, because it is really slow.

edit: That's weird, i remember being able to run chkdisk on the drive before and it looked like it was actually fixing it, I think the interruption made the corruption worse now because I can't run chkdsk on the drive.  

edit2: I was able to get chkdsk /r to run after another try in the cmd and it says that the file system is NTFS. It is saying most of the sectors are unreadable and there's insufficient space to hotfix them.

Edited by irreality, 22 March 2015 - 06:53 PM.

#4 irreality

irreality
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 06:14 PM

I think Ubuntu also said I/O Error in addition to not being able to read $MFTMIRR 

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,923 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 08:00 PM

You have Parted Magic. Boot that and on it's Desktop is an icon either called DIskHealth or GsmartControl. Double Click it and do the short test. Then post the log. If you look under the Attributes tab there will probably be some pink rows but if you see a Red row the drive is failing or failed.

Edit: Were you able to retrieve any files using Getdataback?

info_failing.png

info_testing.png

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 March 2015 - 08:01 PM.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 22 March 2015 - 08:02 PM

Run scan with HDD manufacturer diagnostic tool you can view S.M.A.R.T health report of the HDD and replace bad sectors with spare good sectors.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#7 irreality

irreality
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 08:19 PM

I've attached the log in the original post but here it is:

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x002f   004   004   051    Pre-fail  Always   FAILING_NOW 23231
  3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0027   186   179   021    Pre-fail  Always       -       1691
  4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       362
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   190   190   140    Pre-fail  Always       -       438
  7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x002e   197   189   000    Old_age   Always       -       595
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       467
 10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
 11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
 12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       204
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       152
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       2274
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   113   101   000    Old_age   Always       -       34
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   195   195   000    Old_age   Always       -       5
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       21
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   100   253   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   0x0008   100   253   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0

SMART Error Log Version: 1
No Errors Logged

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Short offline       Completed: unknown failure    90%       467         -
# 2  Short offline       Completed: unknown failure    90%       467         -

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
 SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS
    1        0        0  Not_testing
    2        0        0  Not_testing
    3        0        0  Not_testing
    4        0        0  Not_testing
    5        0        0  Not_testing
Selective self-test flags (0x0):
  After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.
If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.

I was able to get files back with GetDataBack on my desktop at home but now I'm at my dorm and I think the hard drive is dying because testdisk and getdataback can't find the partition table.
Edit: It always starts blinking for a few minutes when I plug it in and while its blinking, testdisk is able to locate its partition. But after a while it stops blinking and that's when there's no partition to be found. Clicking to access the drive says fatal hardware error instead of incorrect parameters.

Edited by irreality, 22 March 2015 - 08:23 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,923 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 08:30 PM

Sorry, I missed that attached txt file. Your hard drive is definitely failing. Your Reallocated Sector Count is high and you still have Sectors ( Current Pending Sectors) waiting to be reallocated. Sometimes the Pending Sectors cannot be reallocated. I would not trust this drive. Have you tried Easeus Data Recovery?  It gives your the ability to recover 1GB for free to see if  you can recover any files.

The files you recovered on the desktop at home, are these the same files you are trying to recover on this drive? Did you do a DeepSearch with TestDisk?

#9 irreality

irreality
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 08:45 PM

I'll try a deep search with Testdisk. But it does seem that the hard drive is dying because now I'm running another quick SMART test with the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tool and it's been over 20 minutes without completion. 

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,923 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 08:52 PM

If that was a short test then yes, I would say the drive is dying. On my previous question, are the files you are trying to recover the ones that you now have on the desktop? If they are then there is a couple of things we can do with Testdisk that may bring back the Partition Table but I don't want to do it if the files have not been recovered. Depending on how important the files are you could use a professional data recovery service but that can be expensive.

#11 irreality

irreality
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 09:38 PM

Yeah its the same files and same drives, I've only recovered a portion of them.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,923 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 10:36 PM

If the DeepSearch does not find a partition you can try the following but it could make thinks worse. When you run Testdisk, click Advanced > Boot. You said the Boot Sector was okay but the Backup was damaged. Is there a option to repair MFT? If there is a repair option try that and see if the drive is no longer RAW but it may fail as it tries to read the $MFTMIRR which Ubuntu was not able to do but maybe Testdisk can. You can also restore the BS in the Advanced Section but you usually do that if the BS is bad and the backup is good. Your Backup BS is bad so I would not do that. If the drive is still RAW you could rebuild the BS and see if the drive is no longer RAW. Once the drive is no longer RAW you can do a chkdsk on it. The best option at this point would be to use a professional data recovery service depending on how important these files are. Have you tried scanning the drive with Easeus Data Recovery?

#13 AustinErd

AustinErd

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 11 April 2015 - 05:26 AM

http://youtu.be/0lMztoOigks
here is another way to recover lsot data from your WD hard drive, but you may pay a long time with this to find more files you want.

Edited by AustinErd, 11 April 2015 - 05:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users