Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I transfer data from C drive to D drive

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 buthers

buthers

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 22 March 2015 - 09:29 AM

I have 2 drives, C drive almost full and D drive almost empty. How can I transfer programs / data from one to the other (there seems to be a permission problem)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 22 March 2015 - 10:25 AM

Considering long-term backup/restore operations, as well as internal Windows operations - I recommend against "moving" programs from C-drive to D-drive.

Also, I do not recommend one "move" My Documents from C-drive to D-drive,  rather, simply copying data files out of My Documents over into designated D-drive folders worked best for me.  Others here & elsewhere have done that, however, any/all choices changing internal Windows operations have consequences at reInstalling of OS time; as well as constrant configuring new programs to "get with the program."

Now, moving your created data folders and your created data files -- that can be done.  I "educated" most if not all programs to save created data files in designated folders on my D-drive.  And, all my downloads also would be moved from C:\downloads over into designated folders on D-Drive.

Edited by RolandJS, 22 March 2015 - 10:29 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 22 March 2015 - 10:43 AM

Hi buthers :)

(there seems to be a permission problem)

Can you tell us more about this problem? What did you try to transfer so far, and how exactly?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,503 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 10:48 AM

Aura, if he's trying to "move" programs out of Program Files and/or Program Files 986) directories -- nogo.  I have moved independent utilities from one place to another, however, never any installed programs.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,538 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 10:49 AM

You can't really move whole program folders from one drive or the other anyway, since as soon as they have links in the Registry, paths will be invalid and they won't be able to be launched, or they won't function properly. You'll have to uninstall them and reinstall them on the other drive.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,503 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 11:05 AM

i was straw-grasping, and probably guessed wrong;  let's await our friend, OP  :)

#7 buthers

buthers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 22 March 2015 - 11:48 AM

My C drive capacity is only 68 GB whilst the D drive is 849GB - most of my data files are on the D drive leaving mainly programs on the C drive? 

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,538 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 11:49 AM

What you could do is to create two folders on your D: drive

Program Files (x86)
Program Files

From there, you could uninstall some programs on your C: drive, like Notepad++, SecuniaPSI, VLC, iTunes, etc. (I can check the programs you have too) and reinstall them on your D: drive. All you would have to do is to change the drive letter from C: to D: during the installation, and the path would stay the exact same.

unite_blue.png

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,503 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 09:01 PM

Aura, your idea will work out great!  However, I'm still "gun-shy" about having two partitions of programs -- as such pertains to constant vigilance [upkeep as upgrades, upInstalls, etc. roll out], long-term backup/restore routines - dealing with two "hot" partitions of OS & programs married to the OS.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,538 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 09:02 PM

This is what you have to do when you have Windows installed on a partition (or drive) with limited space, and one bigger. Like when you're running a SSD/HDD(s) setup like me. I've been doing that for years now and I never had a single issue. Of course, casual programs like Adobe Flash Player, Adobe Reader, Java, etc. are installed on my C: drive (Windows) for compatiblity purposes, and they don't take too much space either.

unite_blue.png

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,503 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 09:07 PM

There is one other solution for those who can afford to do so:  make two restorable partition images of the OS & programs partition, the C-drive.  Purchase a larger HD, hopefully with double or triple the size of the present C-drive.  Clone the OS&programs image onto the replacement HD, yes, OP may or may not have to ReActivate Windows, especially if it's OEM Windows.  Retail true-blue MS Windows probably "won't care."

However, if monies are tight, your plan should work!  OP has to keep on top of, programs that may balk at first.

Edited by RolandJS, 23 March 2015 - 09:22 AM.

#12 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 06:20 AM

I have 2 drives, C drive almost full and D drive almost empty. How can I transfer programs / data from one to the other (there seems to be a permission problem)?

Not to get all technical on answers , did anyone ask what do you have on C:\  Drive that is using all the Space in Question  ? Just Programs ?

Otherwise give it a good cleanup - temps / Restores Points  / etc.or delete programs you dont Req.

And copy and paste , photos , docs , etc from within folders on C\ Drive to created folders on D;\.......and delete them from C:\

As for me i only run the operating system on C:\ Drive it never grows , and all personal photos / files / downloads are saved to D:\ Folders ...

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,538 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 06:53 AM

He shouldn't delete the Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos and Downloads folders from the C: drive. The best solution would be to re-create these folders on the D: drive and then redirect the original folders towards these folders on the D: drive. You don't want to delete default folders created by Windows on a system, it's never a good idea. Plus if he was to do that, he would always have to move the files from one drive to the other, while a redirection will automatically redirect the files on the folders located on the D: drive.

unite_blue.png

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,503 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:24 AM

Aura, I like your idea of recreating the Documents folders on D-drive; that is a safer way to go.

Edited by RolandJS, 23 March 2015 - 10:07 AM.

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,538 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:30 AM

I walked someone throught the whole procedure, starting at this post. So buthers, you can follow these instructions if you like the idea.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/569795/reformatting-help/page-2#entry3652609

I'll put a thread together explaining all this soon, might be useful in the future.

Edited by Aura., 23 March 2015 - 09:31 AM.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users