Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with factory settings?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nicolascc

Nicolascc

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 22 March 2015 - 03:08 AM

I can't get rid of this trojan. I've given up, but it has given me the excuse to finally to change my ASUS back to factory settings. So that's good.

However, I've followed the steps but when I try to pick a system image it tells me "Windows cannot find system image on this computer". I tried to create one but I don't want it to carry over files from downloads, I just want to go back to as if I had just bought it (by that i mean just preinstalled programs). I've read that creating a system image will carry over old/bad files.

Is there anyway to get back to factory settings without bring over old files?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 22 March 2015 - 04:02 AM

Hi Nicolascc,
Usually, the factory restore doesnt involve any image backups which windows os creates on your storage media as per your instructions.
There may be specific key/ key combo to access the restore screen (which is usually managed by some software provided by the vendor. This is possible because a hidden partition is created by vendor on your hard drive (which may be destroyed if you formated the drive).
Here are a few links to the support articles.
1. http://smallbusiness.chron.com/restore-asus-laptop-factory-settings-53444.html
2. http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008226/
3. http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1006133/
If your OS is windows8, it has built in option for factory reset.
And if you would like your machined cleaned from infection, please visit the 'Am I Infected' or 'Virus, Trojan, ... Malware removal logs' sub forums and request help as per the guidelines posted there.

Edited by Nikhil_CV, 22 March 2015 - 04:08 AM.

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 22 March 2015 - 06:34 AM

@Nikhil_CV: OP has already run ComboFix (among many other tools) and has been instructed by qm7 to post in VTS & MRL forum. :)

#4 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 22 March 2015 - 03:50 PM

@ Union_Thug :),

Thanks for the note. I'll mark my previous post for the decision of Mods/Admins here.

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 22 March 2015 - 04:01 PM

OP has been advised how to properly initiate a malware topic in MRL.