Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do i have server R2 2008 or Win 7 sp1 ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 21 March 2015 - 07:34 PM

What is the difference and how do i tell?

Thank you

What i really need to know is what hot fixes should be installed for Win 7 64 bit Sp1 , i am almost positive that is what i am running.

Edited by herbman, 21 March 2015 - 07:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,242 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 07:54 PM

Control Panel>System and Security>System, look under the Windows edition heading.

Server 2008 R2 is designed to run things like file servers, print servers, domain controllers, Exchange servers, etc. Windows 7 is for desktops.

#3 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:03 PM

OK, thank you very much , i have Win 7 64 bit  SP1 , anybody have a list of what "hotfixes" should be installed 

Edited by herbman, 21 March 2015 - 08:03 PM.

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,242 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:05 PM

Control Panel>System and Security>Windows Update, Check for updates. You might want to configure it to only install important updates; skip the recommended ones.

#5 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:35 PM

Control Panel>System and Security>Windows Update, Check for updates. You might want to configure it to only install important updates; skip the recommended ones.

Thanks but thats not what i was referring to , i always check for updates and there is none needing to be installed according to Windows update .  What i am concerned about is certain hotfixes seem to be missing.

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,242 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:40 PM

If your updates are up to date, then you have all the Windows hotfixes that are available.

If you are referring to Microsoft product updates, add the ability to check for Microsoft product updates to your Windows updates configuration, and check again.

If you are referring to non-Microsoft hotfixes and updates, you will have to check with the developer(s) of those applications or devices. In many cases, you can configure those to automatically check for updates and download those as well.

Is there a particular hotfix or hotfixes you are trying to install?

#7 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:49 PM

If your updates are up to date, then you have all the Windows hotfixes that are available.

If you are referring to Microsoft product updates, add the ability to check for Microsoft product updates to your Windows updates configuration, and check again.

If you are referring to non-Microsoft hotfixes and updates, you will have to check with the developer(s) of those applications or devices. In many cases, you can configure those to automatically check for updates and download those as well.

Is there a particular hotfix or hotfixes you are trying to install?

Some of the latest Microsoft security bulletins that have come out recently don't seem to be installed , i can't remember the KB # off the top of my head but i will try to find it.

I don't see update  KB3004394  installed in installed updates.  I also don't see this installed (Microsoft Security Advisory 3046310 (16 Mar-15))

Edited by herbman, 21 March 2015 - 08:54 PM.

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,242 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 09:15 PM

You can always run a manual check for updates from the Windows Updates console.

If the updates aren't installed, then your system probably doesn't require them. If you feel you do, check the website for the KB; there are usually instructions on how to install it manually.

#9 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 09:34 PM

Thanks , yeah i always run it manually lol,   are those two updates installed on other Win 7 64 bit Sp1 computers ?   I am just curious about why Windows update would not offer me those if they are really necessary .

OK , i just attempted to install   KB3004394 and it says my computer is not applicable .  Maybe i am mistaken but why would my computer be any different than anyone elses who is running Win 7 64 bit SP1 ? 

Thats weird , i get the same message when i try to download the other one as well,    not applicable on my computer .

Edited by herbman, 21 March 2015 - 09:45 PM.

#10 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,242 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 09:06 AM

If the update won't install, it's because your system either already has another update that covers it, or it doesn't apply to your system.

Updates are based on whatever components and services are already installed. It won't install an update if the component or system isn't there. For example, if you don't have the .NET 4.5 framework installed, you won't be able to install those updates.

In the case of this particular update, you probably already have the latest root certificate updates, or your system doesn't require that they be updated every 24 hours. Root certificates are installed regularly and automatically via Windows Updates; or if you are using Firefox, they are installed automatically as needed.

If you suspect yours are outdated, you can check your browser to see what is installed and whether they have expired or not. In the vast majority of cases, this isn't necessary as the whole process is automated. You would only need to manually a trusted root certificate if it was issued by someone who isn't using an external, public certificate issuer.

#11 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 01:33 PM

Thank you very much sflatechguy , you have been very very helpful .

Very much appreciated my friend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users