Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

THUNDERBIRD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LadyPepys

LadyPepys

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 21 March 2015 - 06:52 PM

Hello, new user here. Grateful this site exists. I hate to begin by violating the rules, but can't find a forum ???? that might match my question. Old computer drowned. New computer, unable set up Thunderbird again because haven't a clue of password after years. Where might I post this question for some help?

Thanks, folks, for your patience. I am a 75-year-old woman who is neither a novice nor a guru. Everybody, go right now and make a note of all your passwords, and backup lots of stuff. We think we have backed up everything - it's only when we lose our hard drives that we became acutely aware how untrue that is!

Thanks again.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 21 March 2015 - 07:08 PM.
Duplicate deleted moved to Web browsing

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 21 March 2015 - 07:34 PM

Are you trying to set up your ISP email?
I do have something to offer if you are.

#3 LadyPepys

LadyPepys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 05:14 PM

Are you trying to set up your ISP email?
I do have something to offer if you are.

First off, note this:

"Edited by Chris Cosgrove, Yesterday, 07:08 PM.
Duplicate deleted moved to Web browsing"

(1) I don't know how to find "Web Browing."

(2) Yes, am trying to set up email. Actually, that's only partly true. I can access my Thunderbird a/c via smartphone and via iPad, but I don't remember the password, so can't set it up on new computer. My question is (1) is there a way around this and (2) if not, if I set up with another password, will I lose access to current emails?

(3) Thank you for y our response, and I apologize because am not replying in "Web browsing and Email," but I don't know how to find those.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 22 March 2015 - 06:10 PM

You did not answer my question: Are you trying to set up your Internet Provider email?
If you are, do you sign in to your internet account online using the same user name as your email name use the same password for mail.

No, changing your password will not cause you to lose access to current mails. However, you will have to change the password on all devices you use to access mail.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 22 March 2015 - 06:50 PM

Most web-sites that require a password to log-in have some means of getting around the problem that people sometimes forget or lose their passwords.

Look for a link worded 'Forgotten your password?' or 'Lost password' or something like that. This will often result in you being issued a temporary password which you can use to log-in so as to set your password to something more convenient and memorable. But as Queen-Evie has said , you will need to use that password on all the devices you use that e-mail account on.

When you do get a new password make a careful not of it and keep it somewhere safe. I keep mine on a memory stick on my desk.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 LadyPepys

LadyPepys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:17 PM

Well, I just can't seem to figure out the ins and outs of replying at this web site, but want to thank you both so much for your input. By this time, I have figured out that my AT&T PW was the answer. However, I still have a problem, in that I no longer have access to my address book. Woe is me. <g>

This involved Thunderbird as my email client, At&T as my ISP, and a cup of coffee spilled on my laptop, destroying everything. Most everything was backed up, fortunately, but I couldn't access old emails because didn't know the password.

I'm now trying to figure out how to import address book form either/both Samsung Galaxsy S3 or Yahoo accounts.

Thank you again, so much, for paying attention to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users