Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update fails, error code 8024402C

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Midwesterner

Midwesterner

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 21 March 2015 - 06:15 PM

The last Windows Update I was able to successfully download was on March 16.  Since then, it fails almost immediately with an error code of 8024402C.  Underneath that it says that the last update date was Never.  I tried just running one tiny 300KB update with the same results.

At that time I tried to scan my Dell e6410 with Microsoft Security Essentials, but it wouldn't update either.  I finally was able to manually download updates. 

Neither MSE nor MalwareBytes can find anything wrong.

Chkdsk completed normally.

System File Checker completed OK.

The links to GMER from this forum wouldn't load the page.

The C:\ drive is only 1% fragmented, which in my mind doesn't justify the risk of running a defrag.

And this is the weirdest part:  When I attempt to restart the Windows Defender service, it stops itself.

Running Windows 7 Professional, 32-bit

4 GB RAM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Midwesterner

Midwesterner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:04 PM

Well, this is interesting:  Windows Update worked fine when I used a public Wifi instead of my home connection.  Contacting my ISP now....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users