The last Windows Update I was able to successfully download was on March 16. Since then, it fails almost immediately with an error code of 8024402C. Underneath that it says that the last update date was Never. I tried just running one tiny 300KB update with the same results.
At that time I tried to scan my Dell e6410 with Microsoft Security Essentials, but it wouldn't update either. I finally was able to manually download updates.
Neither MSE nor MalwareBytes can find anything wrong.
Chkdsk completed normally.
System File Checker completed OK.
The links to GMER from this forum wouldn't load the page.
The C:\ drive is only 1% fragmented, which in my mind doesn't justify the risk of running a defrag.
And this is the weirdest part: When I attempt to restart the Windows Defender service, it stops itself.
Running Windows 7 Professional, 32-bit
4 GB RAM