Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer is so slow

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Disco Peaches

Disco Peaches

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 21 March 2015 - 06:08 PM

The blue screen of death has come up a few times... i have a lot of crap on my computer but i am not sure where to start in terms of cleaning and restoring it. It is an Elitebook 8460p laptop and has a lot of extra security features installed (fingerprint and facial recognition security) so i am hesitant to start deleting files i am not sure about... my browser is really slow... my computer takes 10-15 minutes to start... i really would appreciate help in taking steps to fix it!

Thank you so much in advance!

Andy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:01 PM

Hopefully your computer is set to create dump files when it blue screens. A good place to start would be to check those dump files.

Go to C:\Windows\Minidump and see if there is a file there called minidump.dmp. If so, copy the file to the desktop and then upload it here:

www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=analyze

Copy the report and paste it in your next post. If there are multiple minidumps, post them all.

If there are no dump files, there are some other diagnostic steps we can try.

#3 Disco Peaches

Disco Peaches
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:16 PM

hi there... yeah i checked the folder... it is empty... any software/diagnostic programs I can run?

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:48 PM

Is the computer still blue screening? If so, check to make sure it's set to create a minidump file when it does.

Go to the Control Panel>System and Security, click System, then click Advanced system settings. In the new window, click the Advanced tab, and in the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings. Another window will open; in the Write Debugging Information drop-down menu, select small memory dump, and then click OK.

The next time it blue screens, go to the Minidump folder, copy the minidump file to the desktop, then upload it into the site I mentioned earlier, and copy and past the results in your next post.

Now would be a good time to ask about your system.

What version of Windows 7 do you have? Is it 32-bit or 64-bit? How much memory do you have installed? How large is the hard drive, and how full is it? The first set of questions can be answered by going to Control Panel>System and Security, and click System. As for the hard drive, go to the Start menu, click Computer, then click on the hard drive or drives.

Some other things you can try: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/optimize-windows-better-performance#optimize-windows-better-performance=windows-7

Some are simple fixes, some are a bit more involved. For example, how often do you reboot? If the answer is not very often, you should consider shutting the system down when you don't plan on using it for long periods. Also have a look at the link. Start with deleting unused programs, limit how many programs run at startup if you don't need them to start automatically every time you log in, defrag the hard drive, run the disk cleanup utility (Internet cache and temp folders are good candidates for deletion), try turning off some visual effects, and run a full antivirus scan. If that doesn't make a difference, we can pick up from there.

#5 justinkemp99

justinkemp99

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:34 AM

Checkout http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/stoperrors.htm for steps to fixing Blue Screen of Death (BSOD). I would suggest first to take backup of your drive, in order to prevent from any further loss. And in order to get rid of slow computer you can try shutting programs running in the background, evacuate all Start-up Programs that consequently begin every time the PC boots. After implementing these few steps for boosting your system speed you must download some cloud based programs (Immunet and Avira are preferable in case of windows) to scan your computer for malware and threats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users