Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there some way to turn off Bing?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 21 March 2015 - 03:01 PM

Dell laptop, Win 8.0, using Google Chrome as default browser.  Almost every time I type an Internet address in the address bar, effing Bing interposes itself so instead of going to the chosen site I get the result of a Bing search.  When I want to go to a specific site I do not need somebody else (Bing) telling me what they think I intended to do  If I want a search result I will ask for one (usually using Google as my default search engine).  So is there some way to turn off or disable bloody Bing?

Concretely, I am trying to renew a longstanding New Yorker subscription.  I do not want a new subsccription, and I do not want to be redirected to the sites of dozens of news agents, etc. etc. etc.  To renew I have to get to the New Yorker site that lets me enter my existing account number.  Bing is preventing me from doing that.

Ordinarily - if there is anything ordinary about all this - if I type an address into the address bar, a number of options appears in a drop-down menu.  The first one is a Bing search, but the address itself (without Bing) appears farther down the list.  In this case, however,when I choose the address itself I still get rerouted to the Bing search result - which does not include the site I need.  After 20 tries, infuriating doesn't begin to describe it,

Thanks for enlightenment!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 21 March 2015 - 03:20 PM

There are tools within chrome to manage search engines, under chrome://setings then "manage search engines". Has this managed to let you remove bing? there are alos equivalent tools within the other main browser firefox and IE, if you remove it fron all browsers on your system that is likely your best option.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users