Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This is real bad....

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NY TomKat

NY TomKat

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 21 March 2015 - 01:17 PM

My wife has a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop. Last night she dropped it and totally screwed the monitor. That's not that really bad part. I can't get it to boot at all. I hooked it up to my TV via HDMI so I can see what's doing. If I try to boot from the drive, it goes to a blank black screen no matter what mode: Boot Normal, repair mode, safe mode, last know good one, etc... If I try to boot from the CD/DVD install disc, it starts to come up, then goes black for about 20 seconds, then goes to a Vista/Microsoft type background - blue and green with some white-ish lines, and an arrow cursor that will move via mouse...but that's it. Stays right there.

If I boot from the Drivers and Utilities disk, I can get to a Command Prompt and chkdsk and that seems to do stuff, but I don't know what good that will do me.

She's an English teacher and has most of her lesson plans on this computer, and hasn't backed anything up for quite some time...great, I know.

Any thoughts on how to get files off this thing before I toss it in the pond would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,429 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 21 March 2015 - 01:35 PM

The safest route for now:  unless you can move HD to another good known computer, and make images of data folders & files, the only other safe route, other than following the expert advice of the BC techs here, is to take laptop to a business-oriented computer place, have a tech quote you on how much to create usb-stick [or sticks] backup of teacher's data folders and files.  I hope they are located mostly in clumps, and not "underneath" numerous programs or all stuck onto the desktop.  Anything plastered onto the desktop will not appear unless that specific account "married" to that desktop is logged into and used.  And, a few times, data "underneath" certain few programs will also not appear unless teacher  acct is used.

Edited by RolandJS, 21 March 2015 - 01:37 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#3 NY TomKat

NY TomKat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 21 March 2015 - 02:00 PM

Thanks Roland. I'm pretty sure she has her files organized in folders, but I believe most of the folders are on the desktop.

When you say move the HD to another good known computer...I did pull the drive out and put it in the the computer I'm using now (obviously, replacing my HD). It acted the same. So I'm not sure what you mean by moving to another computer. If I could make images and save them, I'd be a hero for sure!

I likely will take it to a pro to try and get the files recovered, but thought I'd see if folks here had some tricks I could try first.

Thanks again!

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,429 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 21 March 2015 - 02:07 PM

Folders on the desktop; that's a good sign!  My admin acct  recognize desktop folders, well ok, once they are "placed" there within each account.  I just looked at both my admin and regular desktops using Explorer.exe -- and I had to "place" [copy] my desktop icons [folders too] from my regular acct over into the admin acct.  Will let you know later, if that worked.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,965 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:47 PM

and put it in the the computer I'm using now (obviously, replacing my HD)

Unless your wife's laptop was identical to yours it is highly unlikely that it would have operated your computer even discounting the possibility of damage to the hard drive. The best way to do this is to use a 'caddy' which connects by USB. This is the sort of thing. The example is from Amazon UK but they are widely and readily available -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SATA-USB-External-Enclosure-Caddy/dp/B001EL0SQ0/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1427330592&sr=1-1&keywords=2.5+inch+caddy

You place the drive inside the caddy and connect to your laptop through one of your USB sockets. You will then be able to see if there is any salvageable data on the drive using Windows Explorer and move or copy it either to your own hard drive or to external storage.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users