Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Issues

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Shalynne

Shalynne

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 21 March 2015 - 01:03 PM

I installed the 3/15/15 Windows updates, after which my Lenovo Yoga 2-11S lost the ability to connect to our wi-fi router/modem.  No other changes were made on the Lenovo.  Wi-fi worked just fine on all of our other household devices. 

I did a System Restore.  Voila!  Connectivity returned.

Time consuming, and all I wanted to do at the time was to update Kaspersky.  The Lenovo is my secondary computer, used mostly outside the home.  I don't boot it up every day, so automatic updates aren't always, well, automatic.  Hence, I check for updates before I take it anywhere.

The 3/15/15 update is a very large package.  Twenty-two updates (if memory serves), out of which 20 are urgent or important.  I'd like to re-install the good updates -- and avoid the one(s) that messed up connectivity.

Is there a known culprit(s) in the 3/15/15 package?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 22 March 2015 - 12:08 AM

A quick search didn't' find any specific errors for the Microsoft updates. Check the updates and make sure it doesn't include a driver or third party update that may affect the wireless.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Shalynne

Shalynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 05:34 PM

The updates came straight from Microsoft.  Don't know if this makes conflicts with proprietary drivers more likely -- but I'd be surprised and disappointed if it does.  Can't find helpful descriptions on any of the updates.

Never had this kind of problem with Windows updates before -- but HP's own driver updates have caused occasional havoc on my other laptop.

As for the Lenovo ... right now I'm inclined to re-install only the 4 Urgent updates, then see what happens.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 01:21 AM

The manufactures drivers are usually the best drivers to keep. You can change your update settings to not install/offer reccomended updates. (I'm not sure if that will exclude all driver updates)There is a potential for a Microsoft Update to cause issues, however it is usually documented once caught (it does take digging sometimes). That's why most coporate networks manage their own updates. They wait for any crash reports before releasing updates and proceed with caution. Even testing be for deploying.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 dinodod

dinodod

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 23 March 2015 - 01:21 PM

You might have driver updates enabled as well so MS will install newer versions of them too.  This is nothing new.  

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/automatically-get-recommended-drivers-and-updates-for-your-hardware

and I'm guessing you are referring to the updates on 3/10 (not 3/15) which is Patch Tuesday?  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/

It's also possible a security update from MS is causing the issue.  This does happen from time to time.  

Are there any newer drivers on lenovo's site?

Essential Tools for safe computing

https://sites.google.com/site/dinodod/pc-standards

Please leave a comment on anything relative and help me expand on it.

#6 Shalynne

Shalynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:05 AM

Oops.  Yes, I did mean the Patch Tuesday upgrades of 3/10.  :blush: 

No Lenovo upgrades available at the time.  It's been a few days since the fiasco ... will check again.

#7 dinodod

dinodod

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:22 PM

If you are comfortable with using Device Manager, you can always look at the details of the wifi card and get the driver manufacturer and driver version then compare it after the updates if you are still having issues with the updates.  This will help determine if the driver is getting replaced somehow in the mix of updates.

Another option is to reinstall the driver if it stops working again.

Can you recall if there were any messages that popped up when the wifi stopped?  I was having a huge problem with the "unidentified network error" for awhile when I 1st started to use Windows 7 & 8 for various reasons

#8 socaluser1

socaluser1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:06 PM

Using windows 8, had update that imposed 8.1 on me, was allowing automatic updates, KB3000850 caused many problems, lost internet connectivity, no email, could not log in to accounts. Called in for help and was given a price quote to deal with the problem caused by the update. There were about 29 in a pack that were loaded. I ended up having to do a recovery and went back to 8.0. I had 146 updates and cautiously installed the. I keep getting a push for 8.1 and now today the newest KB3008273 has indications it will automatically force me to 8.1 again.
I fear that I will be forced to update and to have to deal with many new problems.

Edited by socaluser1, 24 March 2015 - 06:22 PM.

#9 Shalynne

Shalynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:56 PM

The only messages I got were Limited Access or, at times, No Internet, when I clicked on the bars icon in my system tray.  According to Device Manager wi-fi was turned on and, supposedly, working properly -- and was connected to the router  Connection simply wasn't going anywhere, and only on that machine.  (Wi-fi is provided via in-built sensors on this machine; there are no buttons that can be pushed by mistake.)

Will re-check Lenovo's site.  If upgrades are now available, I'll install them (whilst crossing my fingers that they aren't as mischievous as some I've gotten from HP on the other machine).

I'm also inclined to omit Windows update KB3008273.  Thanks for the heads-up!

Edited by Shalynne, 24 March 2015 - 06:57 PM.

#10 Shalynne

Shalynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:50 PM

So I booted up yesterday to find a bunch of new Windows upgrades.  Crossed my appendages, and installed them all.

Both yesterday and today, all seems hunky-dory.  It appears Microsoft made some fixes.

No Lenovo driver updates to be found.  They're all supposed to update automatically, and I've only had the device since November.  But I do shut down frequently for battery purposes, and I don't boot up every day.  So I check on occasion, anyway.  Should probably check more often.

And now, it appears there's (yet another) upgrade to their Superfish removal tools.  (...sigh...)

Many thanks, all!

Edited by Shalynne, 25 March 2015 - 05:50 PM.

#11 dinodod

dinodod

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 06:41 PM

And this is why I only do my own builds/installs.  I dare not trust any OEM provider.

You can download windows 8.1 from MS directly but the key that Lenovo provided might not work as it probably is a OEM key

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Or better yet, Windows 10 is going to be literally given away for free if you want to get it.  No kidding.  I have 1 PC on the beta now.  Noting major to me was changed.  You can download it too if you want from MS.

#12 Shalynne

Shalynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:22 PM

I bought this machine because I wanted a 2-in-1 with touch screen ... and the form factor and features I really wanted were available only in Windows 8.1.  (Also, I knew that a completely new Windows version was on the way.)

So, for the first time ever, I plan to be an early adapter when Windows 10 is released.  The fact that it's free is merely icing on the cake.  (Not sure I trust myself with a beta, however.)

My Windows updates come from Microsoft, not Lenovo.  Don't know if that helps or hurts.  From here, it looks like the truth may be, "It depends."

(In other news, it appears Superfish is still gone since my last removal session.)

Edited by Shalynne, 25 March 2015 - 07:28 PM.

#13 dinodod

dinodod

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2015 - 12:31 PM

Sorry, my comment on why I build my own systems was in response to the Superfish install from the OEM.

Windows updates should only come from MS so that is good.  Lenovo would only provide driver updates for their systems.

Glad to see your system is ok otherwise.  Best of luck!

#14 socaluser1

socaluser1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:20 PM

What is going on !!!!! I cannot understand how these updates just do whatever they want to do. I had made the choices that no update be installed without my permission. I got a notification that I had messages and updates but did not allow them. then I got a notice of automatic restart with a choice of times od it was going to just proceed and it was going to install 8.1, Guess what... it installed 8.1 and now is proceeding to do updates. Is there a class action against them? Should be.

#15 dinodod

dinodod

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:00 AM

http://lmgtfy.com/

"Since KB2871389 had been installed a year ago, installing KB2973544 on 28 August automatically started the download/install of Windows 8.1 via the Windows Store.

KB2973544 supersedes (replaces) KB2885699 and, apparently, KB2917499.

[Yes, it is rather sneaky when you think about it. Then again, MS is making a concerted effort to "push" Win8.1 to Win8 computers even though you have until 12 January 2016 to get Win8.1 installed.]"

REMINDER: Support for Win8 ends in January 2016. Win8.1 must be installed by 12 January 2016 or the computer will NOT be offered ANY further updates.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2973544/ <-- this updates to 8.1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users