Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need some help bitdefender free vs avast free

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 21 March 2015 - 01:02 PM

I just installed bit defender free edition but I'm alreadt getting confused. I can't find it's settings menu anywhere, when opened from the task bar all it gives is a small window in the bottom right corner, the "my bit defender" box on the page claims i need to register it (but this is the free edition??) and when clicked opens a small box window which just displays white saying "you need to have javascript enabled to view this page". whats more i find this page which suggest bit defender isn't an antivirus at all but rather it is a purely on demand thing like the free edition of malwarebytes, what is going on here?
Please explain.
Thank You.

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/bitdefender-free-edition-549.html

See the section marked "important" at the bottom of the page.
My machine windows 8.1, previously had AVG but I fully removed that before starting bitdefender's installation.

Should i uninstall bitdefender and switch to avast instead?

Edited by quietman7, 22 March 2015 - 02:39 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 21 March 2015 - 02:45 PM

Can you open the Bitdefender program/interface, then take a screenshot of it to post it here so we can see what you're seeing? Also, many free Antivirus products will ask you to registry in order to use them. So they are free, they just ask you to register yourself in order to be able to use them.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 03:00 PM

Sorry it doesn't matter now. I uninstalled bit defender and put avast in it's place. The settings on that were clear enough to find and although it required some sort of registration for the free version it's registration worked rather than opening a "page" which couldn't load properly.

If it doesn't go too far off topic:

how can i check that avast is working now,

how can i check no viruses got in during the window of time when between uninstallations of one antivirus and installations of the other ( i do run noscript so that might help ),

and should i be activating the add-on in firefox "Avast Online Security 10.2.0.187", would it conflict with existing security measures i have from firefox add-ons Noscript and Adblockplus?

Thanks

Edited by rp88, 21 March 2015 - 03:01 PM.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 03:04 PM

You can check that avast! is working by checking it's current status in the avast! interface. If you see it enabled, it is. Also, if it's enabled under the Windows Action Center, it integrated well and is now detected by Windows.
The chances are really slim, you could run a scan with avast! for starters, as well as run Antimalware scans from programs like Malwarebytes, Emsisoft Anti-Malware, etc. However like I said, I think the chances are really slim since I guess you are a user with good browsing habits.
You can enable that extension, but you must be aware that there was controversy about it in the past.

http://www.howtogeek.com/199829/avast-antivirus-was-spying-on-you-with-adware-until-this-week/

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 03:17 PM

Ah, ok, I'll leave it un-enabled then, and the same for the one in chrome where it asked to "see and possibly edit data on all sites you visit". I'm assuming that most of the antivirus still works properly without it, and I use NoScript so should get some decent layers of protection from that. Also regarding features in avast:

Why does it sometimes flash blue and make a "scrolling book" gesture in the system tray?

What are the components: Secureline VPN, Browser Cleanup, GrimeFighter, Rescue Disk and Home network security for? Most of them are just "on or off options".

I ran an MBAM scan and that came up fine, so my trials and tribulations of uninstalling AVG, installing bitdefender, uninstalling bitdefender, then installing avast seem to have gone alright.
Thank you

Edited by rp88, 21 March 2015 - 03:17 PM.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 03:26 PM

SecureLine VPN can be disabled if you don't use a VPN. Browser Clean-up is basically like AdwCleaner or JRT, but less efficient. GrimeFighter is a software update checker, can be disabled as well. Rescue Disk is a bootable CD you can use to boot from if your system is so heavily infected it can't boot anymore. Home Security Network is additional protection on networks. And no problem :)

unite_blue.png

#7 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 05:01 PM

Thank You for all that. I think i've got it all working how i like it now.
Thanks

Edited by rp88, 21 March 2015 - 05:01 PM.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 05:03 PM

No problem rp, my pleasure :)

unite_blue.png

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 07:54 PM

avast! includes a built-in tools (Browser protection, Software Updater, Remote Assistance, SecureLine, Rescue Disk, etc)

Software Updater allows you to monitor important programs to ensure they are up to date but the feature can be a nuisance.

Browser Cleanup can be used to find/remove unwanted toolbars and plug-ins from your browser. IMO it is not very effective.

If you want to disable them...follow these instructions:
1. Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > select avast > Change/Remove.
2. On the avast! installation set up screen choose the option to Change and click Next.
3. On the Configuration screen, under Components, uncheck Software Updater and click Next.
-- You can also uncheck any other features you don't want to install or change the language from here.
4. After the change is made you should receive an Update finished page.
5. Check the option to restart and click the Finish button at the bottom.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 10:11 AM

I didn't accept the "software updater" bit on the list of things to choose from when i first installed, I deactivated the browser cleanup bit as i can easily check that myself. the thing that does confuse me though is "grime fighter", the only description online reads a lot more like the intro to a comic book than like a description of a piece of software. I can't work out whether it is some sort of deep scanning anti malware tool or whether it is just a "tune-up and optimization" tool preteneding to be valuable, when we know that tool of that type are not.

Edited by rp88, 22 March 2015 - 10:11 AM.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 10:24 AM

GrimeFighter is closer to an optimization tool than an "Antimalware" or anything else, hence why it's usually suggested to disable it here.

https://www.avast.com/en-ca/grimefighter

unite_blue.png

#12 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 10:26 AM

Ok thanks. just to mention, the page you linked to is the one which read like the intro to a comic.

P.s. moderators, you might want to change this thread title to "Need some help bitdefender free Vs avast free". It's deviated a bit from it's original title.

Edited by rp88, 22 March 2015 - 10:26 AM.

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 10:29 AM

Yeah I just read the intro (went straight in the description) and I see what you're talking about now.

unite_blue.png

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 02:39 PM

Topic title changed as requested.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 02:54 PM

avast! GrimeFighter is not like typical PC TuneUp and Optimization Tools.

Avast GrimeFighter

Grime embodies all of the evil spyware, adware, viruses, bloated services, and other obstacles that can make you dread using your PC. Not to worry, Officer Pete, GrimeFighter's captain and chief, is on the case. His passion is eliminating your frustration with your PC by deploying his team of experts. He looks at your computer and attacks any instances of Grime in your system.

Avast GrimeFighter Review

avast! GrimeFighter displays the total amount of space occupied by junk and bloatware files, as well as the number of unnecessary apps that run at Windows startup. Additionally, you can also explore how many toolbars you can remove to speed up your browsers, and how many registry tweaks you can apply. If you choose to fix all the detected issues, your computer will enter a state similar to hibernation which enables avast! GrimeFighter to thoroughly analyze and fix your PC, without the possibility of you accidentally interfering with this process.

Avast Launches GrimeFighter PC Cleanup Utility

The calling card of Grimefighter is its ability to put your PC in a state of sedation which lets it look through registry items and other files that would normally be locked, which Avast claims makes it better than other PC clean-up utilities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users